Smart decisions tonight.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smart moves on my part tonight ended with a very tough trophy boar on the ground about 45 minutes ago.

It going to be quite a long post and my computer is dead so it'll have to wait till morning.
Here's a teaser for y'all, guess the weight on the hog to the left of the dot, don't let him fool you! o_O

Lots more pictures and video to come

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Standin' by.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
300?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is this like "the price is right"? Do we win something for guessing? Lol

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, this is how it went last night, went out like normal cruising the pastures till I found the hogs, I knew where they would be and I had planned on waiting on them if they weren't there but with the storms around they were out early.
I parked the truck at the gate and started on a 500 yard stalk across a hay field that I had baled that afternoon, it was a pretty easy stalk up until the last 100 yards or so when I ran out of round bales so I just stood behind a bale watching and waiting for the hogs to move closer to me.
This group of hogs had some bad habits about being spread out over a 100 yard area and they were very hard to get close too, I've killed hogs out of this group the last two times I've killed hogs. Anyways tonight was a little different because there was a sow in heat so the bigger mature smarter hogs were not paying attention to the things they should have been; like me. Lightning from a cell about 25 miles north of me and the full moon was illuminating the field pretty good, at times I could see the hogs like daylight so I countined waiting at the bale for them to move closer.
After about 5 minutes of watching 3 large boars chase the sow around I realized my spot wasn't going to work so I had to make a break for a bale 50 yards in front of me. It would put me in perfect position to take out the big hogs but would leave me very close to the smaller hogs spread out, some were going to be as close as 25 yards from me and almost be able to catch my cross wind.
I risked it and covered the ground and got to the bale without being noticed. I peak over the bale and the small hogs are RIGHT there.
I press record on my phone and get ready for the shot on the bigger boars about 60-80 yards away, on hogs like these I like them to be at least 50 yards for 1 shot DRT's but there was no way for me to get closer and I was rushed to shoot before the smaller hogs entered my crosswind.
The video is 1.5 minutes and in that time I realized this was not the situation to record a hunt so took my phone off and got everything situated again for the shot.
Heres the video:

Well I stopped recording and yall missed the larger boar with the long hairy tail (the one I shoot) run off another large boar, pretty cool and really got my blood pumping.
The boar then ran straight towards me and gave me a shot at about 50 yards and I told my self now or never so I let one fly. I knew I hit were i was aiming but it didn't phase him so I put more lead down range scoring 3 more shots before he finally sat down on his ass about 150 yards away. Thinking to myself that this hog had the potential to be my first 300 pound boar I rushed to him and shot him again right on top of his back and he was done.

I walked up to him and thats when I was really let down, to me this hog looked alot bigger that what he actually was but none the less he was still a large boar with big cutters and I'd consider him a trophy by how tough he was and the size of his body and teeth. He was only 41.5" girth which put him under 220#

After further inspection I noticed he had been shot before, I perfect right behind the ear bullet wound that was starting to heal up, one tough boar!

Also my first shot I am confident in saying was a head shot that took out his eyes and I know they last shot that finally stopped him was a Texas Heart Shot.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Colby, boy you have the hogs, tons of them!

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Colby, boy you have the hogs, tons of them!
Yeah they're back.
They've really done the damage on this hay field, they've rooted up probably 15 acres the past 60 days I thought they wouldn't cause so much damage if I backed off and left them alone like everyone else does around here... but no, they want revenge I guess. Nobody around me messes with them and they live there and cause ZERO damage so I thought maybe I wont mess with them either, WRONG, they come in and root the hell out of my place

I also don't really want to mess with them now with deer season opening the 27 of this month but I gotta get them out of here

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So? What did he measure out to/weigh?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a long tail, we need to start mounting them. rooting sure will ruin a field really quick, maybe taking 5 at a time will scare them more?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ornery lookin' devil. Nice work young man.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a long tail, we need to start mounting them. rooting sure will ruin a field really quick, maybe taking 5 at a time will scare them more?

That's been the plan all along but it's never worked out!
Between them being so spread out and then now last night taking all the time to kill the boar.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah they were everywhere I would have liked to see the video of the scatter at the shots!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
He sure is Hairy! Wonder if that is a foreboding of a COLD winter. (or maybe he is just a freak)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story Colby! Man sometimes they are just tough.