Shotgun scope sight in

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 12 gauge with rifled barrel. I put the Cabela's Slugger shotgun scope on it. I have been trying to sight it in at the indoor range at 25 yards since that is the max distance. The scope has 100,150 and 200 yard marks. I am trying to set the 100 mark. I get conflicting instructions from the range guys on how to do this. I am shooting slugs and the one guy said to set it for 2" low at 25 to be on at 100. The next guy tells me to get the ammo specs to set it. The info on the web is mainly for regular bullets. I have never sighted in a scope this way so can someone give me accurate info?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This might not be much help, but start by measuring the distance between the scope centerline and the bore centerline for your sight off-set. Next find out the velocity of the ammo you are using and the weight of the projectile (slug). Using a ballistics calculator that you can download for free, plug in all the numbers with your desired zero distance and it will give you the trajectory from muzzle out beyond the zero distance. The hardest number to find will be the ballistic coefficient.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I first really got into hog hunting I used a rifled barrel 12 ga and a spot light. Just so others can be clear, rifled shotgun barrels are meant for shooting sabot slugs. The sabot slugs I use claim 2000 fps and 1900 fps. I've seen some that are as slow as 1300 fps. Some sabot slugs weigh less than 300 grains and some over 500 grains. These things will affect the vertical trajectory of the bullet a lot as will the distance between the muzzle and the scopes crosshairs as chopper said. If you're using the SSTs, based on the trajectory info on the box, I'd think a 25 yard zero would be close to what the box says for zeroing.. But I wouldnt hunt with it at 150 yards without confirming first.

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you had any issue with the SST's? I have read online of people claiming them to be inconsistent.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My rifled barrel likes them. Each barrel is different though on which sabot slugs will group well. I know they're expensive but I'd buy 3 or 4 boxes of different kinds and see which ones group well for your gun

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Winchesters have done well so far. I am going to the outdoor range Sunday to sight it in. I am having them bore sight it first.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter