Shooting lots of expensive ammo.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As I'm figuring out the spot, stalk, and shoot game and having success, I find that I'm shooting an ass ton of high dollar ammo. Been shooting .300blk and have a 6.8 being built that will be my new main squeeze.

Unless I get a hornady sponsorship like all of you sponsored folk, I have three options as I see it.

Switch back to 5.56 and shoot out of my bloated stockpile of surplus m193.
Reload 6.8 and 300.
Not hunt 3 days a week.

Are many of you guys still using factory 6.8/6.5, etc, or are you reloading? How much am I looking at to get a fairly simple reloading kit? $300-$500?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you search for the Hornady 120 SST you can find it for less than $20 a box which isn't bad. The amount of money you spend on reloading equipment will depend on what all you get. The less you spend the more of the process is done by hand which can consumes a lot of time. When you spend more you get better faster equipment like motorized brass prepping stations or progressive presses.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot factory ammo and sell the brass for .35-40 a piece, that really reduces my cost. I also buy 10-20 box lots when it is on sale, the last being SSA fir $5 a box. Last 120SST I bought was 17 a box.

Selling the brass and getting to be a better shot seems to hold down the cost. But for competition or shooting alot I am guessing reloading is your best bet.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should shoot less with the 6.8 and sst causing more fatal first hits.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should shoot less with the 6.8 and sst causing more fatal first hits.
⬆this. I shoot 3x less with 6.8 than with .223. But if any body interested in buying brass in my area, I'll gladly add a brass catcher!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At 16 to 18 bucks a box from what I know you can not reload even for that?? Selway always has good prices and sign up with other places and they notify you when ammo comes in and you can get good deals on it. Also buy by the case and Frank has an idea there also, post up your once fired brass and someone might buy it? BANG BANG!!

PS: That Russian ammo is out there now, steel case but I have never shot it and some folks have troubles with it?? Hornady seems to be the ticket for most.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Reloading is probably not going to save you any significant money.

It's soothing and rewarding if you have time, but you'll probably just spend more money on it due to shooting more. (At least I do)

For the price of factory 120sst, I would just buy those and sell your brass to recoup some money.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Once you have recovered your start up cost for equipment and components you can reload at a good savings per round. Depending on how much you shoot will dictate how long it takes to recover start up cost. Now that I have paid for everything I can load for about half the price of buying factory but like stated it takes a good amount of time so you have to figure what thats worth.

Like stated above I would run the factory Hornady 110 BTHP and 120 SST because you can get them at a good price. Start saving your brass and slowly buying the reloading gear

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
By reloading you also get a better performance rd as you can fine tune it.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
reloading is a great hobby if you have the time.
so think of it as a life investment.

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Solved this problem also with my 5.56 and 6.8 rifles. Bought a Rock River LAR 47 7.62x39 Russian Tactical Comp which shoots Silver Bear HP's right at 1", Golden Tiger FMJ at 1 1/2 ", and the rest Tula,Red Army, Ruag and most Wolf at 2 1/2" to 3" which is plenty good for hog control at a very reasonable cost. I give it a detailed cleaning after shooting the Russian ammo. Have been shooting AK's for 30 plus years so already had the ammo on hand but needed an accurate rifle in this caliber. If coyote hunting in serious coyote country and this is the only rifle I have brought I use Serbian brass case Prvi Partizan 123 gr pointed SP which sometimes will do better than 1". Hornady steel case 123 gr SST will easily break 1" but will short stroke occasionally . My neighbor has had a similar rifle for over a year and I was very familiar with the system as we hunt together at least once a week. Most of my country is pretty brushy so 90% of my shots are under 100 yds and the other 10% very rarely exceed 150 yds so the 7.62x39 is all I need. When invited out to West Texas several times a year to shoot coyotes at distance the 6.8 comes out with the Hornady SST's and a 5.56 shooting IMI Razor Core.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PSA 7.62x39 16inch upper. U can get one under $350 on sale. Most accurate upper i own with 123 grain SSTs at 100 yds. Those cost about $.60/round. for hunting ammo. U can get cheaper stuff ok if u want. Reviews of this upper on PSA and slickguns are almost all 5 stars and there are a lot of them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PSA 7.62x39 16inch upper. U can get one under $350 on sale. Most accurate upper i own with 123 grain SSTs at 100 yds. Those cost about $.60/round. for hunting ammo. U can get cheaper stuff ok if u want. Reviews of this upper on PSA and slickguns are almost all 5 stars and there are a lot of them.

I did that with a Hardened Arms upper but sold the entire gun, was good but nothing but a semi auto 30-30, I still have the ammo..lol

My 6.8 factory ammo is cheaper than that and with selling brass a lot cheaper with better performance. Just say I buy a lot of sales!

Drift

LSB Member
Reloading to save money is a false economy. You'll end up shooting more. If you really want to save money. I suggest moving to a single shot like a T/C Encore. That way you will still get to shoot 3 days a week and probably recoup your money very quickly.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did that with a Hardened Arms upper but sold the entire gun, was good but nothing but a semi auto 30-30, I still have the ammo..lol

My 6.8 factory ammo is cheaper than that and with selling brass a lot cheaper with better performance. Just say I buy a lot of sales!
Frank you are definitely the bargain king.
But since my dads place has 25 acre properties, the shorter trajectory of the x39 makes a nice back up gun. All the shots there are within 150 yards. Plus it shoots cheap range ammo for less than a qtr/round, cheap hunting ammo, and a semi auto is easier for follow up shots... I'm no Franz Albrecht. I also keep my 6.8 brass. Speaking of, it's probably almost time to count up and sell what I have.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I liked my x39, someone offered me twice or more than I had in it so I sold it. Am tempted weekly to buy another upper as I have all this plinking and hunting ammo. The brass is the S&B 110gr SP the Hornady 123SST is steel, I can buy 6.8 as cheap as this, the russian plinking is cheaper as you know.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
do you have any experience with the x39 123 SSTs performance on hogs or deer

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They kill them, act the same as the 120 SST and were accurate out of my Hardened Arms upper

Drift

LSB Member
I have shot doe and hog up to 160 lbs or so with the x39 out of a Mini 30 and a CZ 527. Ranges 150 yards or less. Accuracy was good-about 1.5moa in the ruger about .8moa in the CZ. I dont think any of the animals ever ran more than 50 yards.