Shooter Said I Should Try This Ammo...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...and hooked me up with 40 rounds. He said I just needed to put the round somewhere around the neck or head and it would do the job. He thought I would be pleased with it. HOLY FLIPPING CRAP! I shot the hog in the neck and blood flew out of both ears, both eyes, the skull/head deformed, and I have overpenetration bleeding on the opposite side of the head from the impact.

A few weeks ago, I got the ammo from Shooter and had plans to sight it in with my rifle, but then the snow, ice, and rains came and I didn't get a chance. Today was finally my chance. The Alexander Arms loads Speer 90gr. TNT ammo should be doing about 2800 fps out of my rifle. It sighted in about .75-1.00" over my current zero using Hornady 123 gr. SST ammo. I made a one click adjustment to my sight and was good to go with the bullet impacting at the top of my center dot at 100 yards.

I headed over to TBR for my weekly hunt. The landowner had said there had been hogs on the cameras and I checked cams at 2 feeders and my normal spot (food plot) had only one hog image from a few days ago and this other feeder (North Feeder) had a bunch from the night before. The cool thing about this spot was that it was overlooked by a box stand that also overlooks a feeder (South Feeder) in the opposite direction. Cool.

So I had patterned the hog based on one night's images and determined that the hog should be back roughly 24 hours later to the North Feeder. :rolleyes: All I had to do was to wait for 5 hours and the hog should arrive. In just 3.5 hours, the sun would be down and things would cool off and the critters would come out.

The deer did come out, lots of deer, and they hit the north feeder pretty hard. Rabbits were everywhere and I also managed to see a skunk and raccoon. Nearly all the action was to the north, but I kept pivoting 180 degrees to check the opposite feeder.

Long about 10:00, the boar arrived. Got my rifle on, up, in the window, braced, sighted on the hog, then remembered to turn on the video recorder...waited until he turned and placed the shot at about the middle of the neck behind the head. The hog dropped and then barely kicked.

When I checked the hog, it was a flipping bloody mess! It was beautiful and horrific all at the same time. There was a LOT of blood for not being a heart shot. As noted above, it had flown out of his eyes, ears, and sides of his head. I tried to capture it in the images, but his collapsed left cheek doesn't show up very well.

Oh sure, we have all made some shots that had some gruesome results, but this impressed me. Shooter promised spectacular results and that is what I got - with no apologies, backtracking, clarification, or rationalization. Simply BOOM and there it was.

Before folks run out and buy some Speer TNT ammo for hog hunting, know that it is a thin walled varmint load. It it meant to come apart "explosively" and isn't normally what you would want for trying to shoot the boiler room on a hog. Pictures can be found here...http://s627.photobucket.com/user/HornHillRange/library/Shooter Said

And here is the video...

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Sweet. Must have been holding your breath for awhile before the shot.

I love how the video looks with lower humidity and a good video cable lol.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another awesome job Brian! Posting @ 3:30 a.m.--that's dedication!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks like the 90 tnt did the job on a single target. I imagine if there were multiple running targets the 90 tnt would not work so wonderfully. Most any bullet will work with a head/neck shot.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He dropped like a bad habit!! and an instant bleed out also. Very nice. BANG BANG!!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
crackerjack video, one of your best yet Brian. Congrats on a fine boar. Laid him out! o_Oo_Oo_O

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job and shot...well done Brian!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it worked and did its job but I would have to agree with Alex. Almost any bullet with dispatch an animal DRT if it hits the sweet spot. Being that the bullet is designed to come apart like that I'd be skeptical of its effectiveness it it hits shoulders or the armour plate. Time will tell. Shot the next one in the shoulders. Lol.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holy punkin'-soup Batman !! That's an extra cookies kind of kill right there.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it worked and did its job but I would have to agree with Alex. Almost any bullet with dispatch an animal DRT if it hits the sweet spot. Being that the bullet is designed to come apart like that I'd be skeptical of its effectiveness it it hits shoulders or the armour plate. Time will tell. Shot the next one in the shoulders. Lol.

Um no, not going to intentionally shoot one in the shoulders with a varmint round. That would be silly, and just plain wrong, LOL. Either way, I don't like tracking down hogs, which happens too often with shoulder shots.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know. Was just making a point that the round maybe be excellent for neck shots but not so much for the thicker parts of a hog. Still a nice video and kill.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I read that somewhere early on in the thread. Where was that? Oh, here it is...

Before folks run out and buy some Speer TNT ammo for hog hunting, know that it is a thin walled varmint load. It is meant to come apart "explosively" and isn't normally what you would want for trying to shoot the boiler room on a hog.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man hands! Don't forget the bond yall have! Now hug and play nice!!!! Xoxo

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I have taken hdfireman's advice and protected my man hands with nitrile gloves for handling these guys. So if there is more bonding, my hands will be clean and I know his will as well! :D

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The fun thing about hunting hogs is that we get to experiment more. With deer etc.. you get a tag or 2 and it's a more serious chase. Call it eradication and doing your part whatever you want, but shooting hogs is a lot of fun. We get many many shooting opportunities, 365 days a year and 24 hrs a day. It is why I moved to Texas. It's great to be able to try different ammo and loads on what is a nuisance animal. They have no more value to God than a rat or anything else except that they are edible. Shoot em' with what you got.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think I read that somewhere early on in the thread. Where was that? Oh, here it is...

Man, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was really reiterating the same fact so someone wouldn't go and buy a bunch of 90 grain tnt bullets expecting huge wounds and pools of blood from a shoulder shot or worse a hind end shot on a running hog.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think there is much of an argument, just guys doing what guys do.