Shaking my head...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Headed over to hunt at TBR, my buddy's place. Across the road from his place is a wheat field, hay field, and cattle pens. He has been telling me for months how he sees hogs during the in the wheat field, lots of hogs. I sort of doubted his claims until last week when I saw them for myself. Today, they were in the cattle pen area. I slowed down to get their pic and by the time I was stopped and the camera was ready, they were running for the trees. I only caught these three out of about 15 that I saw. Previously, I had seen about 24 of them. My buddy says sometimes there are even more. Before running, they were eating out of the cattle feeders.

20140507_184550-1-1-1.jpg

So I hunted with no luck and got chased out of the stand by the storms. I left TBR about 10:30 and drove slowly by the neighbor's property, scanning with my thermal scope. The cattle pen area lit up like Christmas, but nothing was really moving. So I came to a stop and watched and slowly they took notice and started moving out. I watched through thermal as they passed through some choke point (fence?) where they went through 1 at a time to leave this area to the NE. In all, I counted 42 hogs, big ones down to wee little piglets.

Now the sad part. The landowner does not allow hunting on his land. The hogs have carte blanche. They are eating the owners wheat, hay, and getting into the cattle stores, but no hunting is allowed.

After all the hogs squirted through and were in the next pasture, somewhat further back from the road, they all sort of stopped and milled around for a bit as I watched them. I guess they determined that I was not coming after them and so they weren't going to be too bothered to run too far. In all, I watched them about 5 minutes, less than 100 yards away. I left before they did and all I could do was shake my head.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I knew some guys down here in Florida that had 1000 acres of fruit groves and farms that were having problems with hogs tearing up everything but wouldn't allow hunting either. I would go over there and they would show me all the damage caused by hogs all over their property. We would see hogs running around in the trees all the time. I told them that a few weeks of hunting them would slow the problem but they said they didn't want anyone shooting anywhere on their land because it wasn't safe. They had a guy come out and set up traps but that never stopped the problem. They would catch a couple hogs a day at most. Just makes you wonder how they justify the loss in revenue caused by hog damage. I don't get it

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice photo.

I have not seen one in daylight yet

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's almost like they knew they wouldn't be shot at because they were out all times of the day and weren't scared of much

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
nothing more frustrating when the ever crafty swine put the slip on' ya!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well for all those folks worried that the hog population is down, then I guess it is good to know that there are currently some active and protected breeding programs, LOL.

I guess these hogs know the answer to the age old riddle, "Why didn't the hog cross the road? ... Because Brian and Russ will shoot him." :D

As soon as the wheat/hay get harvested, they will be coming around, just not yet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With that source of food so close they will stay there and not roam as much as the usually do, will stay pretty close to the food. I would wonder how much money he is losing and what diseases then could pass on to the cattle as ammunition for an argument to hunt there.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Brian I had the same deal going on one of my properties. The neighboring property just ran cattle no crops. When I asked the rancher if he wanted me to kill the hogs he responded " No I don't have a hog problem."

So I videoed a group of 40+ hogs running his cattle away from his feed troughs one night. After he watched his expensive feed getting devoured I had a new honey hole!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AWESOME

forty on one feeding station, that had to be cool

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
quick, put up a forty acre trap!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Brian I had the same deal going on one of my properties. The neighboring property just ran cattle no crops. When I asked the rancher if he wanted me to kill the hogs he responded " No I don't have a hog problem."

So I videoed a group of 40+ hogs running his cattle away from his feed troughs one night. After he watched his expensive feed getting devoured I had a new honey hole!
Nuttin' like a little video proof to open a door of opportunity.