SAVE THE CORN (Now with video)

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had the privilege to hunt with Lancer again and we had a great time. We started off at a place he calls "Big Sky" and we didn't see much. Big Sky normally produces a plethora of hogs, but it was slow on the uptake on this hunt. So we bailed and headed to another place called Windmill. Windmill has an area where all the cattle manure is pushed into large windrows to dry and later be repurposed. The hogs tend to hangout in this area and root for vittles. As we cruised through we spotted a group of six about 100 yards from us. We thought they were moving away and we were scrambling to get rifles up, but we soon realized they were making their way right to us. they got to 60 yards or so and we let loose. We dropped two.

We moved on, checked a couple of quick spots, but we weren't seeing much. We eventually made it to a place called "Sierra". Sierra is where I filmed my first zeus video. albeit, short, but it was the first. We slowly made our way through Sierra and a sounder of around ten popped out of the woods 30 yards in front of the truck. They made their way to the cut field and huddled together trying to figure out what we were. Lancer and I made out stalk to around 5o yards and let them have it. I picked one large loner off to the left of the group and kept pounding him with 120 sst's. He wouldn't go down! After 5 thumps he finally have up. 280 lbs by tape and twice as tough!

After Sierra Lancer and I made a few more stops and wound up back at Big Sky. This time we spotted a lone boar right off the bat. I decided it was time to give the 45 ACP SBR a chance. The boar wouldn't slow down and it took us 10 minutes to catch up to him on foot. I finally got to around 40 yards and was afraid he was going to slip into the wood line and I wouldn't have a chance. I lined up the shot and he instantly dropped and started doing the shuffle. Because of this I withheld a second round like an idiot. After about a second of the shuffle he was off to the races! I hit him again and he stumbled and started acting like he was giving up. My mag was empty and there was a house behind him at this point so Lancer couldn't give him a finishing shot. By the time Lancer was repositioned the boar was already in the woods. We could hear him breathing heavily through bloody lungs and we don't think he made it through the night, but no recovery. Lesson learned, when using the 45 keeping squeezing the trigger until they don't move anymore.

We made our way up to the top of Big Sky where there is a HUGE corn silage pile. The dairymen placed a ring of round bails around it to keep the hogs out. The hogs have relentlessly paced around it trying to find a way in. When we got next to the pile we spotted on lone hog in front of us. We decided Lancer was up to bat and I was going to watch. Just as he was about to pop him two more ran out from the right. Lancer took a shot and the whole place errupted in hoof beats. I had to hop out of my perch that I made through the sunroof of Lancer's truck, grab my gun, and start blasting with my IR laser. We ended up dropping six out of this group. We drug them together, took a picture, and then saw it was 3 am. Time to head home.

NOPE! We spotted one more big sounder on the other side of the 400 acre field. We caught up to them, took out shots, and only ended up with one recovered even though there were countless thuds from the bullets hitting them. They escaped to the woods! We made it back to the truck and it was quarter to 5! We were beat and had a 3o minute drive home. What a great night!

Now with Video!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good slayage happenin' there last night. Congrats you two, lots of anti-jihad blood flowing there.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck of a story and a heck of a pile of pork!!! Way to go guys!! And a couple of real dandys to boot!!! So a GOOD ON YA!!!! BANG BANG!!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a great action packed night!! Good shooting and good story!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well told. It was certainly lots of fun, 11 in one night is the best we've done! So far! And you take marginally better pictures than me.... Lol.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, you appear to shoot relatively straight with a GUN. LOL Picture quality critiques? Not so much.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent hunt Alex and Lancer. Lots of dead hogs and a great time was had by all. Good job guys...... jealous wish I had a hog rich Environment

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lancer you have the hogs that is for sure. Sounds like lots of fun and a long night...good going guys

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was an awesome night guys. I'm jealous too.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the compliments gents. I think we hit more than we recovered in that last group. You could see them stumbling and tripping, but they still made it to the woods. I switched to my last mag right before this group and they were 90 grain gold dots in stead of 120 sst. Turns out the gold dots were hitting about 4 inches low compared to the 120 sst load I have so I might have been shooting off ankles, knees, and hooves in the last group. Part of me wants to give the 90 gold dot another chance. I have so many of them and I can create a second rifle profile in the zeus and not have to rezero each time I switch. Hmmmmm......

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! You guys counted 11 hogs down, and you can bet the bald headed buzzards will help you find another 11 croaked in the woods.
Great job whackin the hogs!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lancer just told me he found 2 more dead in the field. I guess we missed the recovery saturday night.

13 for the night!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lancer just told me he found 2 more dead in the field. I guess we missed the recovery saturday night.

13 for the night!
Zestay ! Nice huntin' fellers.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

13 for the night!
And another 2 recovered this morning from the last part of video.
15 for the night!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The T.B.P.S. loves you two this week. Should be good for a thermal discount, eh? LOL