Rules of Engagement!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This post is simply an example of a lone Boar who is spooked and alerted.

View My Video

The short of the long story is that Lonepunman spotted him first under the feeder. As bad as the humidly was I also saw him but only knew it was a living creature from my quick glance. He suggested I move up 10 yards, to clear a tree. He spotted with a Thermo Mono while I was advancing and said "He's gone" just as I was flipping my scope back on. Clearly in my sights I said no he's here. This is when I flipped on the video. It took a few seconds for Lonepunman to advance and get set.

I think the Boar heard me.

Now the rule is, When a hog is alerted its ok to shoot without a countdown.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Absolutely, job is to get the hog

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Agreed!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This post is simply an example of a lone Boar who is spooked and alerted.

View My Video

The short of the long story is that Lonepunman spotted him first under the feeder. As bad as the humidly was I also saw him but only knew it was a living creature from my quick glance. He suggested I move up 10 yards, to clear a tree. He spotted with a Thermo Mono while I was advancing and said "He's gone" just as I was flipping my scope back on. Clearly in my sights I said no he's here. This is when I flipped on the video. It took a few seconds for Lonepunman to advance and get set.

I think the Boar heard me.

Now the rule is, When a hog is alerted its ok to shoot without a countdown.

Next time! Those big boars have some super sense sometimes.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kilw da piggy, kilw da piggy, kilw da piggy, kilw wit now !!! (To the tune of Flight of the Valkyries)

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, at what point in the video are you thinking the hog alerted on you.

He had been positioned under a feeder eating corn. In less thn 15 secconds moved to the top of the birm of the tank, and was only looking around and sniffing the air. We werea bit up wind so i can only guess he heard us talking and could smell us.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree that that getting the hog should be a priority, but so too is keeping your hunting partner happy. Just remember that the claim of "He alerted" as justification to shoot before the agreed upon countdown will get old really quick if if it happens more than once and your partner isn't in agreement with your assessment or doesn't see what you see.

It is good to have an ROE for when it is too late, but in this case, if you thought he had alerted on you, then you should have said so immediately and y'all need to have a ROE for when to do quick counts. "I say take him" hardly conveyed the notion of much immediacy especially as y'all were having a whole conversation.

Lonepunman should not be asking if you are ready if he isn't, right? So I assume if he asked if you were ready that he was. So if you thought time was critical, the conversation probably should have gone more like...

L, "Are you ready?"
SS, "Yes. We need to shoot now. 3, 2, 1...."

but this is stuff that you need to work out beforehand.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sorta like Ed did for you Brian? LOL

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lonepunman should not be asking if you are ready if he isn't, right? So I assume if he asked if you were ready that he was. So if you thought time was critical, the conversation probably should have gone more like... L, "Are you ready?" SS, "Yes. We need to shoot now. 3, 2, 1...." but this is stuff that you need to work out beforehand.

I agree. There have been a few times when we've been in a similar situation in an open area when they are already spooked and moving away at a rapid pace and I simply announce "Im going to shoot." Up until a few months ago He was limited to a Pulsar NV scope, and it usually took a bit longer for him to see the target. During this time I usually let him do the count, it kinda became our routine.

After my response to his statement in the video of waiting for him to turn broadside, I changed my mind, stated my thought and was waiting for his conformation. I didn't realize the hog was on the very tip of the hill. Per our other conversations I would have taken a shot considering he was now on the move, however he disappeared before I could react.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've lost more hogs that I've had in my crosshairs waiting on my hunting partner to find em so we could do a countdown, than I've successfully counted down on together. Critical seconds get wasted trying to get on the same page and then suddenly the books shut and the hogs gone and no one shot anything and both hunters are disappointed. There are several variables and factors that make it a lot harder than it seems in a lot of situations to get the countdown right in my experience. There's more than one way to skin a cat and each hunter often has different little details that works for them that they don't realize the other person might not be on that same page as them with that particular detail or aspect of the hunt. I remember txlawman saying something about being more successful in regards to overall numbers when he is alone and I didn't really get it at first. At the time i figured 2 guns means more dead hogs . But I find myself agreeing with that a lot more now. One thing I can say that helps, is going with the same person a handful of times to the same location/property. A lot of those gametime decisions/kinks get worked out with repetition as u and the other hunter learn to hunt together more efficiently and effectively. I guess practice makes perfect, but hindsight is always 2020.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Two or more hunters. Lone hog (one target). Why do you need a countdown. Take turns. Who's turn is it to shoot ??

Down here there are always two of us. For the most part we hunt side by side. Before we get out of the truck we both know who's shot it is. If we separate so as to be able to watch different areas,the hunter that sees a hog or a coyote,stalks and shoots at will. When we come back together,"who's shot is it " rules.
If multiple hogs . . the shooter stalks,the other hunter is slightly offset and behind him. But close enough to be able to communicate quietly. The shooter also has his choice of the targets. We usually kill only one hog unless someone needs more meat or a church group has put in a request for a specific sized hog for their pig roast.--- pruhdlr

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bc it's more fun that way!
... when it works lol
But I agree about taking turns for effectiveness on line hogs. I usually tell whoever is with me to get set up and shoot if they need to, otherwise wait for me and I'll get set up too for a countdown, but not to let the hog get away and not hesitate to shoot if the hog is about to boogie...however this is with them borrowing my thermal scope while I have the Pvs 14.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sure but most of the dirt clods have been destroyed on the massive number of misses, so your wad may have been blown Prematurely!!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Ha, I have a good bud I do a lot of waterfowl hunting with. I call the ducks and call the shots for ducks. He calls the geese and calls the shots for geese. I learned almost 30 years ago that he yelled "Take 'em!!!" a nano second before pulling the trigger. I just watch his hands, and when he reaches for his shotgun, I do too.

Doesn't work at night though!

JPK