Rubbing post.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went to the Co-OP to buy feed, asked about the catfish food and found out they have now taken the stink out of the pellets! Damn them, remember how it used to stink like it should! I will tell you my animals got the runs when I tried feeding them dry cat food...LOL

Harris hawker

LSB Member
This thread deserves the Nobel prize!!
There is sheer brilliance here!!
One question,
There is a device, an oil roller of sorts, pig farmers use I believe. You think that could be mounted and work?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This thread deserves the Nobel prize!!
There is sheer brilliance here!!
One question,
There is a device, an oil roller of sorts, pig farmers use I believe. You think that could be mounted and work?

I don't know but I'm going to look it up now!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL yeah a pig oiler would work, or burlap over a line between 2 trees and soaked down! Just don't say "mounted " around these hog killers...too damn funny!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Catfish bait in the small little tubs that you can get from Wal Fart works great. Leave it in the sun when not in use. When in the woods break off a small stick,dip some out,and rub it on the side of a tree about shoulder high. DON'T GET ANY ON YOU !! --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With 30" of rain at the lease in 1 week and more on the way, the catfish bait I have out are catching catfish not hogs...LOL

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The water is so deep over here that the fish are eating my tomatoes. More coming --------> RIGHT NOW !! --- pruhdlr

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
TEXASLAWMAN, I have never(EVER!)seen a pine rubbed like the one in your pic. They have been using it generation after generation. Sit on that tree long enough and you WILL get a hog(or three).

The hogs over in this part of the country rub the pine for the sap. The boar hogs will also cut it to get it to ooze. They use it as a deterrent to the bighting flies and they also rub their shoulders against it as added protection when fighting. I have killed deep swamp hogs(some years ago)that had a very thick layer of pine pitch covering their shoulder plate,back to the mid body area.

If I want hogs in a certain,targetable area,I take my pulp hook and cut a pine tree about knee high to get it to start weeping sap. The hogs will easily find it and continue to use it. This looks like a boar hog cut it and it will not kill the tree if it is 6 inches or so in diameter. --- pruhdlr

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread! But...I wanted to share and remind those that don't use rub poles/rubbing posts that they are a great addition to any hog hunting setup.

We have 3 spread out across the property that are frequently used. Ours are simple, cut cedar (juniper!) trees wrapped in heavy rope. The rope we soak in old tractor motor oil. These three photographs are the progression of a single rub post over the course of approx. 8 weeks.

Attachments

• DSC09938.JPG
    DSC09938.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC09973.JPG
    DSC09973.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP0618.JPG
    IMGP0618.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 32

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've done the same thing with rope wrapped around a mesquite tree soaked in black gold.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOTS OF GOOD IDEAS

LSB Active Member
I noticed several of the telephone poles running through the ranches I hunt were almost getting worn through. The hogs were rubbing up on them scratching themselves and coating themselves with the creosote to keep the bugs off.

So we started putting diesel soaked post by our feeders, pig pipes, and pig holes. After some experimenting we found the hogs preferred the post soaked in old motor oil. There are times when the hogs will totally bypass they bait but use the rubbing poles.

This one below is just a soaked landscape post next to a pig hole. You cant see it but there is soured corn and scraps buried three ft deep right by the post. They have barely touched the bait but hit the post almost daily in the warmer months.

And here is a tree near one of their bedding areas. They seem to like the sap from pine trees.

Tex are your posts just landscaping grade from Depot/Lowes? Treated? Thanks as always....

Shop Severe Weather Pressure Treated Landscape Timber (Actual: 2.75-in x 4-in x 8-ft) at Lowes.com

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tex are your posts just landscaping grade from Depot/Lowes? Treated? Thanks as always....damn this place is a gold mine of edumactions foR me.

Also, do you actually submerge these posts in oil in some kind of container or just paint it on with several coats?

Any old used lumber works, old carpet and Kreso-Dip soaked on it, used oil will be ok too