Rubbing post.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I noticed several of the telephone poles running through the ranches I hunt were almost getting worn through. The hogs were rubbing up on them scratching themselves and coating themselves with the creosote to keep the bugs off.

So we started putting diesel soaked post by our feeders, pig pipes, and pig holes. After some experimenting we found the hogs preferred the post soaked in old motor oil. There are times when the hogs will totally bypass they bait but use the rubbing poles.

This one below is just a soaked landscape post next to a pig hole. You cant see it but there is soured corn and scraps buried three ft deep right by the post. They have barely touched the bait but hit the post almost daily in the warmer months.

And here is a tree near one of their bedding areas. They seem to like the sap from pine trees.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's some serious wear on that tree ! Probably wound it with their tusks... I wonder if the bugs smell the tree sap and know they'll stick to it? Hmmmm?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow, never seen pig rubbings go through a tree like that! They rub on the oaks here until the trunk is polished to shine, but I always thought they were scratching at an itch. Most of the hogs I have watched rub are covered in mud, always thought they were trying to get the bugs off and were rubbing to spread the mud or kill a biter.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some of the telephone poles on a couple of properties I have hunted look almost like that tree. It is a good thing the poles are derelict poles from an old oil derrick without power anymore as some of them are nearly worn to a tooth pick.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have one associated with each feeder area, a 4x4 or 2 2x4's nailed together with carpet wrapped around it. At the top I put a wind flag to easily see the direction from a distance, the carpet get soaked with Kreso-Dip (feed stores, it is a cattle and horse spray, mix w water)that smells like creosote. Along the trails our pines get rubbed but nothing like your tree!

Soonlobo

LSB Member
TLM, we've tried the Kreso-Dip with no luck. Do you think the old motor oil will put out enough smell to draw hogs in? We have tried several different attractants but think the hogs are east of our location, out of the prevailing winds.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really, Kreso did not have them rubbing?? strange, you can try used motor oil, or old cooking oil. Sometime if the hogs don't have natural creosote posts to rub on they don't know what it is.

Anyone know other than to get bugs off why they rub?? It is like a social note they leave for other hogs, Like leroy was here, or dominance by the larger Boars, like LEROY was here. The3 keep up with each other by the smells at the rubbing posts.

Soonlobo

LSB Member
Frank, we haven't had any hogs in months. Think maybe the neighbor out to the east is killing and trapping most of them. Still have plenty of does and fawns, just no hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah you have to have hogs first before anything else works. Can you go as far east on your property as you can and start baiting that? Once they come to that area you can get them to move on in, but you gotta get them on your property first. When the wind is blowing East put out as much smelly bait and hog scent as you can.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, we've tried the Kreso-Dip with no luck. Do you think the old motor oil will put out enough smell to draw hogs in? We have tried several different attractants but think the hogs are east of our location, out of the prevailing winds.

We have not tried the Kreso dip. Started with just plain diesel then added used motor oil. They rubbed on the plain diesel but seem to like the used motor oil even better. Pretty sure its just to scratch their itchy spots and to keep the insects away!

Soonlobo

LSB Member
We have a feeder about 50 feet from the east edge of the property but the deer tend to eat that corn. We'll keep trying!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah it takes the bait but also the scents to get them to move in at least here. When i first start an area I throw everything at it, if it stinks I use it, right now I have some of the foulest soured corn ever, gonna take it out next time I am out.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
FrankT has you on the right track. Try 2-3 week old soured corn with table scraps and cooking oil mixed in. Get a bottle or three of Anis oil in the baking section of your grocer. It is what is used in black licorice and is an attractant scent for coons, bears, hogs, etc. You could also buy some sow in heat scent and spread that on the fence post at the edge of the property.

If the deer are eating before you think the hogs get a chance at it put in a pig pipe. The deer don't really mess with the pig pipes as much. It isn't in a deer's nature to root for food like a hog does at a pig pipe. You can also dig bait holes. Again deer won't mess with them that much.

If you are really desperate you could try to put some really stinky bait in an elevated position to try to get the scent to travel farther. Then put a little bait below that spot so they have something to eat when they finally come in.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you have a source for leftovers from a cafeteria, restaurant or produce stand? That stuff really starts to stink after awhile and they will dig through it to find what they will eat, I put half a culvert piece down and dump as much as I can into it. Molasses or jelly is good as well as peanut butter and that stinky catfish bait.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you seen the fish food dispensers people put on their docks? Some of the largest hogs I've seen taken were eating that stuff they really seem to like it. Even try catfish stink bait!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Day old donuts from a local shop is another source

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dry and wet, will bring in the yotes too!

Soonlobo

LSB Member
We've tried everything you all have mentioned EXCEPT the fish food and dog food. Have to try that next!

:)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We've tried everything you all have mentioned EXCEPT the fish food and dog food. Have to try that next!

:)

I would go with the fish pellets over the dog food!