Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is noticeable now!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess I missed that, you do them yourself Dave? Good grief if I got into that I would go crazy but probably don't have the patience you do to end up w a very nice job.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yes I do them myself Frank, that's not my Glock, did for someone else. I do quite a few for cops. AR's, pistols, etc. I did one for a cop that a guy wouldn't stop and instead of shooting him when he tried to run him down, he smashed the front window out with his 1911 lol. That window did some damage to his pistol.

I did an AR for a woman detective, OD Green and Graphite Black, she was hot lol.

The other guns I posted like my new 6BRX I did in Burnt Bronze. I have also been mixing colors. It isn't cheap to buy the cerakote, $95 per quart, but I can do a lot with a quart. I've got about 15 different colors.

And got need equipment to do them. A good compressor with an air dryer, HVLP spray guns with regulators, sandblast cabinet, etc.

Here is the process:

Completely disassemble gun.
Degrease all parts.
Sandblast parts using aluminum oxide.
Degrease again.
Gas out parts in oven to burn off any residual oils or impurities.
Spray parts.
Bake in oven, different for metal vs plastic.
Reassemble gun.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Then you have an oven to bake it in? You spray it on? What sprayer do you use?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I bake in my regular oven, I'm not married lol. You can smell a little while baking, but no residual effects after.

I use an Iwata LPH-80 HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) air gun. I have some cheap guns also that work fine. For Cerakote you want to use a 0.8mm nozzle in the gun, nothing bigger, a 0.6mm also works well.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah married and that is a nogo...I may try it, just knowing my patience level I have stayed away.