RIX DBH D12 Review: The Best Thermal Image I’ve Personally Seen

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Alright I've been using the RIX DBH D12 for almost one year now here are my long term thoughts. First and foremost the exceptional field of view and 3x magnification makes the D12 a versatile powerhouse. That combination won me over even more than the incredible 1280 image. Most thermals are limited to wide field of view, or magnification but not both together. With the DBH D12 I can go from the thick woods of East Texas to the wide open areas of west Texas with the same optic. Add to that the incredible resolution, zoom capabilities, and standout industry leading humid-weather performance made the D12 my new go-to thermal riflescope.​

​

Why the DBH D12 got my attention​

I have spent a considerable amount of time using thermal optics, and I do not take calling something “the best” lightly.

Originally took the DBH D12 and all the competitors 1280, 1024, and 640 scopes out for five days to film my original YouTube review . YOU CAN CLICK HERE TO WATCH The DBH D12 delivered the best thermal image I have personally seen from a commercial thermal optic.

Before this, the DBH D6 was my favorite scope. The D12 did more than give me a higher-resolution version of something familiar. It combined an excellent image with a substantially wider view at the same stated base magnification. GAME CHANGER!

The performance impressed me in good conditions. But as humidity increased, the DBH was in a league of its own. RIX is know for having the best high humidity bad weather image across the board but the DBH D12 took it to another level.

That combination—image quality, useful field of view, and performance in difficult conditions—is why the D12 has become my new go-to. If I had to pick one thermal out of everything available today this would be it.

D12 versus D6: what actually changed?​

The D12 retains much of the DBH platform while changing important parts of the imaging system. These are RIX’s published specifications, rather than measurements from my comparison:



This comparison also shows why it is important not to describe every specification as an upgrade. The D12 has more detector pixels and a wider published field of view, but the D6 has the higher listed refresh rate and longer rated runtime.

The field of view is a bigger deal than the “1280” label alone​

Both scopes are listed at 3× base magnification, but their published angular fields of view are substantially different.

Using those figures, the D12 provides approximately 60% greater horizontal angular coverage and 60% greater vertical angular coverage than the D6.

For a more familiar reference, converting the published horizontal angles into scene width at 100 yards gives approximately 61.5 feet for the D12 versus 38.3 feet for the D6. Those are calculated widths, not measurements from my field test.


That helps put my initial reaction into perspective. The D12 did not feel like I had traded away my preferred base magnification just to see more country. It gave me a noticeably broader picture while retaining the magnification I wanted.

For my hunting, that matters. I am not always looking at one stationary animal at one predictable distance. I may be observing a group spread across a field, then dealing with animals much closer than expected. A wider window makes tracking running targets so much easier.

The optical explanation is also worth getting right. A larger objective does not, by itself, guarantee either a wider or narrower view. Field of view depends on the lens and the physical dimensions of the detector together.

Here, the same 12 µm pixel pitch means the D12’s active detector is twice as wide and twice as tall as the D6’s. The larger detector and different lens work as a combination. This is not simply a D6 with a bigger lens attached.

What 1280 resolution means when you increase magnification​

The D12’s 1280×1024 detector contains 1,310,720 pixels. A 640×512 detector contains 327,680.

That is four times the total detector pixel count: twice as many pixels horizontally and twice as many vertically.

It does not automatically mean four times the visible detail on an animal. The optics, field of view, processing, conditions, and display all contribute to the image. But the extra pixels give the D12 substantially more room for digital cropping.

Here is the simplified crop arithmetic:



These figures describe a straightforward digital crop—not the resolution of the display or exported recording. At 6×, the D12 still has a roughly 640×512 source region available.

That is what I was getting at in my video when I compared the D12 at 6× with the D6 at its 3× base setting. The available source-pixel dimensions can match, but that does not make the two views optically identical.

Another useful feature is how the D12 controls that magnification. Fine-step digital magnification you turn a magnification ring to make small adjustments such as 3.1×, 3.2×, and 3.3× rather than forcing the user into 2x, 4x, 8, magnification (Only use what you need).

High humidity: where the D12 really stood out for me​

My strongest impression was not limited to an ideal night.

In my field comparisons, the D12 already looked excellent in good conditions. When humidity increased, the difference between it and the other optics I was using became especially noticeable.

Of the commercial thermal optics I have personally used, the D12 has given me the most impressive high-humidity image performance.

That is a field-based opinion. I am not presenting it as a laboratory certification, an instrumented humidity test, but i had every well know competing model availibe to look at side by side and the choice for me was clear.

It is, however, a meaningful part of why I prefer this scope. I am buying an optic to use on the nights I actually hunt, not only the nights that produce the prettiest demonstration footage.

The D12’s published thermal-sensitivity figure deserves some explanation here. NETD—noise-equivalent temperature difference—describes sensitivity to small temperature differences under specified test conditions. Lower numbers generally indicate better sensitivity, but test conditions, optics, and processing affect the comparison. An advertised NETD number alone cannot establish which complete scope produces the best image in the field. My educated guess is the bad weather condition performance advantage RIX has comes down to the algorithms. There are several competitor scopes with the exact same specs, lens size, screen resolution, but they all fall off faster when weather conditions decline. That is why I place more weight on end user observations than numbers on a chart.

The display matters—and it is separate from detector resolution​

The detector captures the thermal information. The display is where the user views the processed image.

The D12 combines its 1280×1024 detector with a 2560×2560 OLED display. Importantly, that display resolution is also listed for the D6; the D12’s increased detector resolution should not be confused with an entirely new display specification.

There is a third specification to keep in mind when watching video reviews: recording resolution. RIX lists 1280×1280 photo/video capture with 64 GB of internal storage. That is not the same figure as either detector resolution or OLED display resolution.

Detection range is not rangefinder range—or shooting distance​

Two different range figures apply to the D12:

RIX lists a 4,260-yard detection range and a 1,312-yard maximum laser-rangefinder range.

Those numbers describe different functions.

Detection means noticing that something is present. Identification means having enough information to determine what it is. A rangefinder measures distance. None of those, by itself, establishes a responsible shooting distance.

In my video, I described how useful the D12’s image was at the distances I encountered. That should not be mistaken for a claim that its advertised detection distance is a practical hunting distance. I had no trouble identifying moving targets in open fields even at 1000 yards. Add tall grass and animals laying down not moving then identification starts to get tricky past 200 yards.

The scope also includes ballistic-calculation functions. RIX documents support for five ballistic profiles and integration with its RIX+ app. Those are useful capabilities, but a calculator remains dependent on its inputs; it does not replace target identification, field judgment, or the shooter’s limitations. I rarely use the balistic calculator myself, but did find it extremely useful when playing with subsonic loads, or calibers like the 45/70, 450 socom.

​

​

 

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Controls that matter after dark​

As a left-handed user, I particularly appreciate the dual-side focusing controls. In my review, I also noted the straightforward four-button layout and quick startup. Those are things I notice when actually using an optic, not just reading about one. The controls are simple, and easy to find in the dark.


The removable dual-18650 battery system is another practical feature. RIX advertises up to seven hours of runtime and confirms that the compartment accepts the batteries in either polarity orientation. The scope runs on two batteries at a time and comes with four and a charger. Quality 18650 batteries can be found for around $7-$12 each where scopes using proprietary batteries usually cost around $100 or more.

There is a integrated green laser pointer separate from the rangefinder. People seem to really like this option for me I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. But its there so if your using thermal and someone else isn't you can signal where your looking. This laser will scare animals off, and it will give away your position.

Size, weight, and fit: the tradeoffs deserve attention​

This is not a small, lightweight optic, and there is no value in pretending otherwise. RIX’s manual lists 3.47 pounds. I've seen several people complain about the size online, the D12 is the size of a Nvision Halo XRF. I have mine mounted on a heavy AR10, I use shooting sticks and a padded sling and have no trouble walking long distances with it even in the Texas summer. The D12 should mount to any AR platform and most bolt actions with no issues. I say most because I am not familiar with all bolt guns, but I did run on the following with no issues Q Fix, Remington 700, Ruger ranch, and aMossberg.

Who should consider spending this much?
At the time of writing, Huey Outdoors lists the DBH D12 at $8,499, reduced from a listed regular price of $8,699. This is unquestionably a premium purchase.
The D12 makes the most sense to me for someone who uses thermal frequently and puts a high value on the image: a professional user, a serious night hunter, or an enthusiast who wants the strongest viewing experience their budget allows.
For my own use, the D12’s appeal is its versatility. The wider view matters when things are close or spread out. The resolution becomes valuable when I want a closer look. Its humid-weather performance matters because I do not get to choose perfect conditions for every night in the field.

On the other hand, someone who hunts occasionally, values low weight above everything else, or already has a D6 that meets their needs may have little reason to spend this much. For those users the RIX LEAP 12R or RIX STORM S6V2 may be a better choice.
 
Top