"Remember, your no Bunny until you've been hung from a tree!" Lonepunman 4.5.15

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
11hqiwz.jpg

I swear he comes up with the greatest one liners. Considering it was at about 3 am Easter morning, was there any reference to the crucifixion?

We've been talking about a get together and having me come down to the Deer lease in San Marcos since about November. Between his work family and my work and long hours we just have not had the time. Then out of the blue last week he said in a Text "I'm cutting back on my hours at work when are you available to hunt?" Considering Sat night is my only night to stay out late, and sleep in the next morning I was very limited. With no Easter plans we made plans for Sat night.

He was able to arrive at about 4 pm to bait about 10 spots with corn on the 600 acre plot. Which I will add was very wise on a group hunt. A little shot gun effect, if a hog crosses one of the feet spot they will stay put for an hour give or take, giving us a chance to stumble upon them.

The lease was much different to what I was used to. I hunt wide open hay fields. While not even close to square, I can see nearly 90% of the 300 + acre hay field from one spot using a thermal scope. The Deer lease on the other hand was mostly Scrub bush of cedars cactus rock and other scrub brush. Many of the open areas were only 30 to 40 yards sq, a few were 100 yards long give or take and 50 to 60 wide, but many areas only had a shooting lane 10 or so yards wide up to 100 yards most were on a strait part of the "road" if you want to call it a road considering its a old world rock factory down there.

After failing to sight in his NV scope he's had some trouble with, Brian pulled out another gun with a daylight scope and a 2 lights, one red one green, and we were hunting. He had a Thermal mono to spot with, witch Ill add was invaluable considering you nearly had to check for hot spots every 10 to 25 ft.

We advanced to the back of the property slowly. Then he spotted something at the 2nd to last feed plot. Within 5 seconds whatever it was was gone into the brush. Looking and looking after a few min I spotted it just inside the tree line. Brian had a hog grunter call on him and started using it. The lone hog moved around a bit, and managed to show himself enough for me to take a shot, however with out a clear shot he bolted off into the ticket and was gone for good.

We paced our way back to the cabin, rechecking the feed plots on the way back, and all of a sudden we heard the Yotes crying off in the distance towards where the trucks were parked. After 15 min I said "Ya know I do have a bag of Dead Bunnies in the back of my truck" I could only imagine a pack of 30 dogs tearing through the back of my old Ford truck. Long story short, a coworker raises show bunnies that he sells, and gives me the sick or the ones that die for me to use as bait.

With 2 more feed plots to check on the way back I made it to the truck and grabbed the bag of bunnies. With 2 of the 4 in hand, and a fist full of bailing wire in hand we picked a spot 100 or so yards out from the front porch of the house to set up a bait area for the yotes.

Just as Im tying the bunnies to a small bush in the field, Brian belts out the "Remember your no Bunny till you've been tied to a tree, line. Then he warned he would take a pic and post it. I thought it would be great, but he never did, and the pic above is staged here from home.

Just after the rain passed we were back out to recheck the feed plots. After seeing several live rabbits & deer, we made our way back again to the 2nd to last feed plot. As Brian rounded the corner he made a sudden stop, double check, turned to me and said "Take Him" Within 15 seconds I was set up and lined up and zoomed in to 4x on the Zues. Heart pounding, took a deep breath, aimed at the neck, started to let it out, and pulled the trigger.

Hog Down!!! He did the Curly Shuffle for about 5 min too. I have to admit I was very satisfied with the spine shot I was aiming for.

24g6l49.jpg

After another trip back to the front of the property, Driving the truck to the back to recover the hog, I did a quick butcher recovering the back straps and hams.

Many thanks to Lonepunman for a Great Easter weekend!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey good for ya'll, sounds like fun! and meat too...you are a funny bunny killer!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job putting him down! Sounds like an adventure.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now you're talkin!! That would have been a site!! Way to go!! BANG BANG!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Calmly singing... "Just-a-hangin' around..."

Nice job on the hog, too bad no 'yotes went down too.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog and bunny hahah.