Recovered 120gr SST

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I recovered this one a few months back and never posted it. Shot a 150 pound boar at 50 yards as he was rubbing on a red clay embankment. The bullet went through both shoulders and 3-4" deep into the clay. Retained weight was 68.4 grains but I broke off one of the petals and lost it.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice performance there. Good job recovering it

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wonder what you would get shooing those at 270 velocities?

Do you think it be possible to measure the diameter of the bullet at this point? It did lose about half of its weight.

Thanks for the info

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope this didn't sound critical? What's left of that bullet looks good and wholly intact. The bullet lost that much mass you know it had to deposit much of its energy to do so. That's got to be a good thing especially with an exit wound.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Do you think it be possible to measure the diameter of the bullet at this point? It did lose about half of its weight.

Thanks for the info
Hornady recommends you do not use this at velocities over 3000fps, It will not hold together. I just recently checked it out myself about a month ago.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Thanks for the info

My load of 27.4 grains aa2200 is going 2600-2700 fps out of a 16" barrel hogs shooting hogs within 20 yards is pretty devastating.

Through the forehead out the spine.

Sow hit in upper shoulder as she ran away exited neck.

Texas heart shot running away 20 yards. Exit between the shoulders.

Head shot on sow 20 yards exit belly.

Another head shot rear exit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Boar sleeping by a pond hit at 15 yards entrance and exit.

Sow running away 20 yards.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That head shot rear exit is forking nuts!! I've never seen anything like that.

62 caliber is pretty good expansion.

Thanks.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I'm already ordering a couple boxes now that my 6.8 needs to hit the field

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I rarely recover a 120 SST, but the one that I did recover once was a 150 yard shot from a 16". Jacket separated from the core and made two wound channels.

One thing is for sure though they do pack quite a punch, perfect for pigs. I don't see me changing anytime soon for my go to pig round.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love them only reason I got the 90gr gold dot was price. If they don't work out on hogs they will make nice coyote bullets.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That reverse Texas-heart-shot is incredible. What a mess. LOL

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, its going to be hard for me to give up on the 120 SST. I was hooked on the 85 gr TSX until I got a chance to shoot some hogs at longer ranges. After seeing TLM's results its been my go to bullet.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Nice report

The 120 SST has anchored everything I've shot, my 6.8 loves'em, affordable, and there is no reason to use anything else.