Recording through the viewfinder with a GoPro

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had posted about this in one of Brian's threads, but I felt it could use it's own.

Never having been happy with the both the video output of the my IR Hunter scope, nor the durability of the DVR's, I tried an experiment. So far it's worked out at least as well as I had hoped. What this will do is allow a GoPro to record through the viewfinder at the same time you're looking through it. Since we all know the viewfinder video clarity and quality far surpasses what the video out put produces, this should help.

On top of that, it gets rid of the wires between the scope and the DVR.....

I started with a el cheapo beam splitter from ebay that's designed for airsofters to shoot around a corner using their red dot scopes.
Tactical Reflect Angle Sight 360 Degree Rotate For Laser Sight Picatinny W/ Rail
$34

Then added a GoPro waterproof case
Waterproof Diving Housing Case for GoPro Hero 3+/Hero 4 Plus Accessory New
$15

Couple packs of Sugru, I used 2 so far but will add more for extra strength. (I ended up using 4 and it's pretty sturdy)
http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldabl...?ie=UTF8&qid=1456508563&sr=8-1&keywords=sugru
$22

So for $71 bucks so far it works.

The GoPro Black 4 is what I'm using. I'm not sure if other models have the same option, but using the "Narrow" FOV setting on 1080P seems to work the best. Then just flip the video and zoom it in to fill the screen in post processing and this is what you get.

Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next week to get out and get some video of a hunt.

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lookin' pretty danged good thus far Kemosabe. Keep the updates on this project coming.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks good ... can't wait to see it in action

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You may cost me a go-pro, but it looks like it may be worth it.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! Looks like you made an awesome setup! Congrats

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess it would work just as well with the gopro clones that are so cheap now?

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess it would work just as well with the gopro clones that are so cheap now?
Probably so. The FOV would play a big part though. Even with the FOV set to narrow its still pretty wide for this use. I'm not sure about the clones settings.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you still look through it with your eye as normal? Does it affect eye relief? Can you use it on a standard daytime optic?
Looks awesome and a nice affordable way to record video in high definition, hopefully this will show what the IR defense scopes truly look like.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you still look through it with your eye as normal? Does it affect eye relief? Can you use it on a standard daytime optic?
Looks awesome and a nice affordable way to record video in high definition, hopefully this will show what the IR defense scopes truly look like.
It really doesn't change much. The eye release is just about the same and you look through it the same as you usually do.

No reason you couldn't use it with as day scope as well the same way.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome idea and implementation - thanks for posting the write up. GoPros are pretty remarkable pieces of technology.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Das some pretty good video through your rig there. Nice work.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Certainly don't lose anything w the GOPRO...Now THAT is the way to do a side by side comparison!! Thank

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thought you guys might like to see a true side by side comparison between the two.

IMO even through the viewfinder, the GoPro doesn't quite capture the full dynamic range that the eye sees. I think the whites might be a bit blown out where the eye still sees some shades of grey.

It's interesting to me that the DVR records what looks to be a higher contrast version of the image compared to the view through the viewfinder. I wonder if that was a conscious choice by the developers, or if it's just a factor of the output format.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd call it a pretty fair trade, for the bonus of a GoPro's durability. Good video work.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's interesting that depending on the color level, one would look better than the other.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's interesting that depending on the color level, one would look better than the other.
The video output doesn't seem to show the differences between the 3 white hot's or the 3 black hots, it seems to output them the same...

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nicely done comparison Oso, thanks again for posting it up.