bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea I think the 525 Pile Driver at 1300fps should get the job done.

Good thing it's semi-auto, a feller might need a quick follow-up shot on those killer shrews.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good thing it's semi-auto, a feller might need a quick follow-up shot on those killer shrews.
Loved that B movie.

These should do nicely.
IMAG0144_zpsec66dc84.jpg

Think they are about the same size as one of them meece.

And just cuz I love this pic.
size_matters_1639.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They NEED killin' !!

killershrews-old.jpg

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot about this pic. The bottom is a 338LM. The top is a wildcat. Met a guy in MT that did a lot of wildcatting. The top is a .12cal. That would be interesting on them mice. Solid brass hollow point. It was smoking around 4k fps IIRC.
IMAG0250_zps9204d2f9.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL.. how many grains is that little booger-getter? Tough finding a cleaning rod for that round's barrel. Bullet grain down into the teens?

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't remember weight but is was tiny. He did kill a big muley with it though.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At 4K fps? I'll bet that was an explosive event w/o much of an exit wound. When I lived in the arctic, a .17 Remington was a popular caliber. Up there (in the bush), hunting with a tiny caliber is a status symbol... much like having a BMW in your driveway.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot about this pic. The bottom is a 338LM. The top is a wildcat. Met a guy in MT that did a lot of wildcatting. The top is a .12cal. That would be interesting on them mice. Solid brass hollow point. It was smoking around 4k fps IIRC.

The .12 looks interesting! A similar thinking guy just sent me information on the Hellcat 22 that uses a 6.5 cartridge. Velocities range up to about 4200 fps with 50 gr bullets. 22 Hellcat intro - The Wildcat Cartridge Discussion Forum Hellcat DATA thread - put all your test data here. - The Wildcat Cartridge Discussion Forum

With bigger bullets and higher velocity, I would bet it would be good enough to take stuff as large as ground squirrels. :D

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The .12 looks interesting! A similar thinking guy just sent me information on the Hellcat 22 that uses a 6.5 cartridge. Velocities range up to about 4200 fps with 50 gr bullets. 22 Hellcat intro - The Wildcat Cartridge Discussion Forum Hellcat DATA thread - put all your test data here. - The Wildcat Cartridge Discussion Forum

With bigger bullets and higher velocity, I would bet it would be good enough to take stuff as large as ground squirrels. :D
Oh crap. That is just what I was looking for. Hmmmm. I was entertaining the 22-6.8 idea but this would be perfect. Another toy to save for.:confused:

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot Brian. 123 yards is a long way for a trophy mouse.
Now you need to update your gear list to include a flexible steel 1/4" tape for those heart girth measurements...:D

Dennis

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Funny stuff Brian, never can have too much gun... of course that's like a hog getting hit with artillery there.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well dog gone it Brian. Just took the first step, looking into ordering on of them Hellcats. Might have to get the flir sooner than expected and do the meece hunt out back.

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Brian - great shot at that distance. Funny vid. Better check with Todd about starting a MUS Venator section.