Quick I2 question.

Drift

LSB Member
OK so I got a PVS 14 (Thanks Aaron). It's great. But I went out last night between rainstoms (probably 90+ humidity) and the interior of the optic had fogged up going from the cool dry house to the hot humid outside. I could hardly see at all, lots of green smeared light and had trouble making out chain link fence at 30 yards.
Question. Any solutions?
What I have done with riflescopes in the past is leave them outside in the humidity and that seems to work.
Will that work with the PVS 14?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If the moisture is on the inside of the unit, I'd be in contact with the seller on how to proceed.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you sure it was on the inside? Mine always fog up on the outside the inside should be nitrogen purged and impossible to fog up. Check and make sure its not on the outside first, but if its on the inside you have a leak.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
If the moisture is on the outside (where we hope it is) I use "FOGTECH" anti-fog juice ... which works great except when it doesn't ...which it doesn't about 20% of the time ... I try to guess when I will need it (like now it is hot as hecque and humid also) and then use it out of the squeezy bottle on the lens' that will be close to my eyes ... but also try to keep 1-2 packs of pre-moistened in a pouch in case I guess wrong. Of course I have to remember to take the pouch, which I usually don't when I need it :).

Drift

LSB Member
Thanks for the input. I'm in Florida and this time of year its easy to tell when it is raining, but so humid that sometimes its hard to tell when its not. This time of year the water can sorta steam off the ground. I'll try some of that anti fogging stuff. I used it years ago-until I went hunting in Canada and it froze on my scope lens. Thanks again

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've had my EOTECH freeze up with FOGTECH on it, but I attributed that to icing conditions which existed at that time. No other lens froze up that night whether with or without FOGTECH. I haven't had a 14 freeze up yet with the FOGTECH on it. I have had googles freeze up - if I had them on my eyes and removed them for a few minutes. But that happens without the FOGTECH also.

In some conditions, I think the idea of having the lens sitting out in the conditions might help. I haven't tried that technique extensively.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Geez it is a Sauna out there tonight ... our Gineas started making a ruskus so I went out with the thermal in front of the Vortex 1-6x on the .22lr for a look, the Gineas were already up in their tree in the back yard ... I scanned in the wood line on the other side of the creek and around the back of the house, did not see anything but gineas in the trees ... of course if there had been something else it was probably long gone ... but the thermal front lens was fogging up badly as well as the Vortex back lens .,.. so I went back in the house and applied FOGTECH to front of thermal, back of vortex and front and back of 14 ... should be good to go for next few days ... when I was out I did my "whistle" that I do to tell the gineas it is me and they quieted down for a bit ... once they associate certain noises with people that feed them, we might get some respect :).

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Assuming it is fogging up on the outside of the lens like when wearing glasses and going from inside to outside.... If you're wearing it helmet mounted I would suggest setting the mount/-14 so that it sits an 1/8 inch further away from your face. And fold back or get rid of the eye cup. Also use a microfiber lens cloth to wipe away the condensation. Just make sure not to scratch it/them

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OP- do you have the rear demist shield installed over the eye piece? That is what fogs up on my 14s first.

Drift

LSB Member
I apologize if I left a negative posting. I have no complaint. The PVS 14 fogs more than my glasses, but If I carry a microfiber cloth and wipe it a lot it clears up well. I took the rubber shade off last night and it was a lot clearer. It's just that the air right now is wet and hot. And I need to get more practice in with the optic.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you could season it by putting garage to get use to temps and humdity before using works well,for me. We just had 1.5" of rain 97% humidity so my PVS-14 is in garage because 3/4 moon and want to see what is going on. Coyote was back last night as well as fox. Don't plan to hunt just look around.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Agreed, equipment left out (sheltered) tends to remain a bit more readily useable.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I apologize if I left a negative posting. I have no complaint. The PVS 14 fogs more than my glasses, but If I carry a microfiber cloth and wipe it a lot it clears up well. I took the rubber shade off last night and it was a lot clearer. It's just that the air right now is wet and hot. And I need to get more practice in with the optic.

So it's outside that's good news, you can also use shaving cream to stop the fogging.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shaving cream learned something new . My glasses cleaner has a no fog thing that works pretty good not totally.

I also,remove my magnifier to help get used to heat or cold faster than leaving it on.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I'll try shaving cream ... the anti-fog juice I've been using for past year works well ... but shaving cream might be cheaper.

There are at least two fogging scenarios ...

COLD - in this scenario is it cold probably 10F or lower and the warmth of the breath and mostly the warmth of the eyeballs fogs up nearby lenses ... also icing conditions can create streaks or even complete closing down of lens not near self.

HOT/HUMID - in this scenario, 70% plus humidity, 80F plus temp ... the eyeballs can fog nearby lens ... but also all lens can fog a bit ... having the lens acclimate out in the garage, away from AC before going to the field might mitigate much of this aspect.