Question for those who use hog roll barrels... UPDATED DESIGN!

ccreyeder

Hey ya'll!

New guy here and have a question about hog roll barrels... How are you keeping your chain from wrapping around the T-post and binding up?

Here is my set up: I have a t-post driven into the ground, chain is looped around t-post...
end of chain -->quick link-->swivel-->quick link-->hard point attachment on barrel....

The problem I am running into is that the hogs will push the barrel closer to the T-post (ie inside the radius of the chain) and so then, instead of pivoting around the post, the chain just wraps around the post, getting shorter and shorter, until the barrel is cinched up tight against the post....

My first version I used a 55 gal metal barrel and the hogs cinched it up so tight against the post that they ended up opening up the eyebolt attached to the barrel and barrel came free and was never seen again...

Next, got a 15 gal soda syrup barrel.... it is holding up much better than the metal one, but the hogs are still wrapping the chain around the post and cinching the barrel up next to the post..

I tried putting a PVC "collar" around the post with the chain attached to it... no good, same results...

Any other ideas/thoughts? I had an idea of maybe slipping a length of PVC over the chain and seeing if that would work...

Sorry for such a long winded first post, but cant think of a easier way to describe my set up...

Thanks for the help!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No idea, but welcome to the forum.....

More knowledgeable members will be along shortly. I'm betting they've figured it out.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Instead of looping your chain around buy a steel ring at least 3" in diameter available at any hardware store. Attach that to the chain with a quick link and drop the ring over the t-post. That should keep her spinning. Also, shoot some of those hogs so they don't roll it so much. :)

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Check out the "sticky" thread in this area on "hog roll barrels". It doesn't directly address the question, but gives you other options on securing the barrels to keep them in your county. Oh, welcome.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks ya'll!!

I did check out the "sticky" first :)

I'm shooting as many as I can lol

No prob, welcome to the forum CC. I knew your name was familiar. Your review on youtube helped me pull the trigger on a Sightmark Photon last year and its been killing hogs ever since. Thanks! Again welcome, there's some good guys great info in here. Go Knights

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank helped me with my roll barrel situation. I'm sure he'll be on soon to offer his advice.
At least you aren't having trouble getting them active! Welcome, from houston

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey ya'll!

New guy here and have a question about hog roll barrels... How are you keeping your chain from wrapping around the T-post and binding up?

Here is my set up: I have a t-post driven into the ground, chain is looped around t-post...
end of chain -->quick link-->swivel-->quick link-->hard point attachment on barrel....

The problem I am running into is that the hogs will push the barrel closer to the T-post (ie inside the radius of the chain) and so then, instead of pivoting around the post, the chain just wraps around the post, getting shorter and shorter, until the barrel is cinched up tight against the post....

My first version I used a 55 gal metal barrel and the hogs cinched it up so tight against the post that they ended up opening up the eyebolt attached to the barrel and barrel came free and was never seen again...

Next, got a 15 gal soda syrup barrel.... it is holding up much better than the metal one, but the hogs are still wrapping the chain around the post and cinching the barrel up next to the post..

I tried putting a PVC "collar" around the post with the chain attached to it... no good, same results...

Any other ideas/thoughts? I had an idea of maybe slipping a length of PVC over the chain and seeing if that would work...

Sorry for such a long winded first post, but cant think of a easier way to describe my set up...

Thanks for the help!

Just saw this...I would have to see a pic of your setup to really tell you. A slick center post helps the T posts seem to snag everything, but then the links to the post and the way you do it may be creating the binding.

ccreyeder

No prob, welcome to the forum CC. I knew your name was familiar. Your review on youtube helped me pull the trigger on a Sightmark Photon last year and its been killing hogs ever since. Thanks! Again welcome, there's some good guys great info in here. Go Knights

Hey Jake! Wow, small world! Glad you found the review helpful :) Sigh... the Knights fell to Katy.. AGAIN! lol.. Maybe 2016 is the year lol

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Jake! Wow, small world! Glad you found the review helpful :) Sigh... the Knights fell to Katy.. AGAIN! lol.. Maybe 2016 is the year lol

I hope so. My brother in law was special teams and secondary coach for the championship year and a few after. I got to go to both state games. He moved on to Clemens but we still pull for the Knights!

ccreyeder

UPDATE: Went to check the pig barrel this past weekend, and sure enough, the chain was wrapped up tight against the T-post AGAIN! Grr... so tight they were able to pop the barrel loose by breaking the plastic handle -- which I figured they would eventually. I was able to find the barrel. I saw it sticking out of the water at the edge of the tank and was able to fish it out without too much trouble. Looked around in the scrap pile and came up with I think is the ultimate solution! lol..

sleeve of old sewer PVC pipe around the post... buried in the ground a few inches... another piece of PVC on top of that with chain attached to it... the two swivel around each other...... length of old galvanized pipe around chain, snugged up to Post/PVC "collar" and held in place by using an old U-bolt to keep pipe from slipping away from post...... replaced broken plastic handle with D shackle... Pix below.... will be back in a couple of weeks to see how my new design is working. I do know that now, the barrel is unable to get close enough to post to have the prob of the chain wrapping around said post instead of rotating around it. If it works, I might have to patent the awesome design lol...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is great! I just slide a 3-5' piece of PVC around the post and into the ground and have a 6" loop so it cannot get tangled. The Clevis or D bolts are great, I have them on all my configurations. I have permanently lost a barrel that size and found others a couple hundred of yards away, same with the 59 gallon pickle barrels in the past!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
[media]

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lmao! what the heck!
I was trying to get the video to "begin" where he's saying "Now, that's usin' yer dipstick, Jimmy". It apparently didn't quite work though. LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like that idea. Great thinking.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job CC, looks like some great ingenuity!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Might had to shoot dip stick man that has to hurt!