PVS-14 problem

STRUTTER

LSB Member
I have a PVS-14 that has been in the safe. I got it out, put batteries in and the image is no longer "round". This creates a problem when I mount on my scope. Anyone have and ideas on what the problem is? Is there a company that works on them? From all I can research it appears to be "shading" which is a sign the tube is going out. I got it used, so unsure of the hours on it. I have attached the best picture I could take.
Thanks in advance!
IMG_0090.JPG

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a new one to me. Maybe give Aaron at Night Combat Solutions a call. He is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to I2 stuff.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tube is going out may run for mi utes may run for a few more hours. I had a brand new pvs14 do the same thing. Started as a small spot went out the next day.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So is there any companies who work on them?

Aaron at Night Combat Solutions used to but he's busy building his new pvs14 recording system. Ident Markings works on them as well. But they told me mine was unrepairable. Hope yours is something different but it looks like mine did. Luckily mine was under warranty

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You say mount on your scope? What type and caliber rifle are you using it on?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shot my old pvs 14 on a .308 thousands of rounds that unit still works, the one that went out was never mounter on a rifle. Sometimes they just crap out, hope someone can get yours working again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is so sad, I hate to see one go like that, who replaces the tubes and how much?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Tubes are not hard to replace. A couple of small allen keys, a scribe, tweezers, and a gentle touch are all that is required. Alcohol and q-tips to clean the clss helps too. Of course, if you are not mechanically inclined its better to let a knowledgeable person do it. There are youtube videos on building a pvs14 that may help. At least you only have to buy a tube and not the entire unit. Still sucks though.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not that hard to change but most don't have the equipment to purge them. OP I would hit up Ultimate Night Vision and see if they can help

STRUTTER

LSB Member
Yeah this really really sucks. I have magnifier, case with kit that includes helmet mounts etc. before I drop 2k on fixing it, I might as well try to sell it all off and save up for a dedicated thermal.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Going to be hard to sell in that condition because the tube is going out. Could run a couple months like that or a couple of hrs. Right now it is only worth the housing, magnifier and mounts.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah this really really sucks. I have magnifier, case with kit that includes helmet mounts etc. before I drop 2k on fixing it, I might as well try to sell it all off and save up for a dedicated thermal.
Yep. Most folks will opt for a new unit with a warranty before spending a bunch on a housing and extra's.