pumpkinhead

D

djones

this spot is quickly becoming a favorite. easy to sneak up on and the wind is right most of the time. we got a good countdown. only thing that went wrong is the hogs didn’t run left. they’ve been coming from the left all along and have been leaving that way. this time they figured out if they run right they’re instantly invisible in the weeds.

pumpkin%20head_zpsa922udfj.jpg

I would have looked for the last hog except I didn’t realize I hit him until I heard it on the vid. oh well. first shot was a good kill. he sorta looks like a raccoon except with a red mask.

eye_zps9bhqtgqm.jpg

second batch had a few hogs but two were coming our way and we couldn’t move. another good countdown and I expected to see both pigs make curly proud. still not sure how my hog survived the first shot, but they both took off. I got in at least one more hit and repositioned so I wouldn’t swing into pumpkin head (PH – he’d like to think I call him that for professional hunter). meanwhile he blasts both our pigs. then the great pumpkin blasts a dead hog again! I have to say it was a cool impact shot.

then two confused hogs came into range. again, a good countdown although they were on the move. PH said he didn’t hit anything but I think he shot the first one that went down. I took a lot of shots but felt I was on target for most of them. I keep forgetting at 2x zoom they are farther than they appear and I think I was under leading them. hard to tell since I couldn’t see the missed shots in the weeds. unfortunately we couldn’t find the first hog that went down.

3more%20drag_zpsdunvldms.jpg

note: when I say we got a good countdown, I mean I got a good countdown. I have earplugs and he has electronic muffs (extra large to fit over his noggin). when I ask if he’s ready, I can’t tell if he says yes or no. if I hear anything, I assume it’s yes. he knows by now when I start counting he needs to get ready in 2 seconds, lol

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya!! Nice shootin guys!!! Nice videos! BANG BANG!!

? In that last picture is there 4 hogs there? or the one in the middle is an XL (xtra long)??:)

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the hogs down there must take gymnastics classes. I'm seeing lots of nice rolls and flips on these videos!

I still hate you DJ!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to clean up guys !!! Good group of dead hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of pork right there. What part of the State do you hunt in? Seems like you always have hogs, same place or different ranches?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.

In those last two videos I think you stopped swinging your gun each time you pulled the trigger on the runners.

Keep your gun moving with them. Just like a shotgun.

Know this. I'm totally envious of all the hogs you are throwing lead at each week so I'm not trying to sound critical or superior to you in any way.

Quite the contrary,

You're definitely shooting great. I think you would have even more dead hogs to frustrate me with if you kept your gun moving while shooting at those crossing runners. Just like a shotgun.

In those left to right crossing shots, next time try and be aware of your stopping to pull the trigger.
It may be that you are just involuntarily flinching, but to me it looks like you are stopping just a second to aim at them.

Or it may be that I am full of horse hockey and need to go crawl back under my rock. Especially since I'm not out hunting tonight and you've probably emptied two magazines by now.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.

In those last two videos I think you stopped swinging your gun each time you pulled the trigger on the runners.

Keep your gun moving with them. Just like a shotgun.

Know this. I'm totally envious of all the hogs you are throwing lead at each week so I'm not trying to sound critical or superior to you in any way.

Quite the contrary,

You're definitely shooting great. I think you would have even more dead hogs to frustrate me with if you kept your gun moving while shooting at those crossing runners. Just like a shotgun.

In those left to right crossing shots, next time try and be aware of your stopping to pull the trigger.
It may be that you are just involuntarily flinching, but to me it looks like you are stopping just a second to aim at them.

Or it may be that I am full of horse hockey and need to go crawl back under my rock. Especially since I'm not out hunting tonight and you've probably emptied two magazines by now.
Wildflower! Don't talk nice to him!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wildflower! Don't talk nice to him!
I'm just mad he's not killing more with all the targets he finds.

I'm probably going to have to sit on a corn feeder in the swamp and hope I can pull the trigger more than once this weekend. (if I'm lucky)

Hahahah

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job!

D

djones

really?? i'm getting lessons from a guy with flower in his name?? well listen here, i have hemorrhoids that have been shooting longer than you are old.

secondly, the problem is not that i'm not following thru. problem is the dang hogs don't stop when i do.

and finally all my problems could be solved with a new gun.

but seriously, i may have to look into that. sometimes what looks like a non follow thru could be any number of things.. lost my footing while turning to keep up, accidental discharge (yea that happens with my gun too), or i may be waiting for him to catch up to where i think i need to shoot. also i'm probably shooting faster than i can accurately cause i'm already wanting the next hog before the first one is down.

dopy me. i just realized your name isn't wildflower. yea, i'm an idiot
hammer_zpsf379c626.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hunting on your hogs and nice size. The last ones got real close to your truck. Sight picture was very clear you could see the irrigation equipment in the back ground clear as a bell. I think you were using a Zeus? Which one?
My first clay shooting lesson the guide gave me a hard time as a rifle guy about follow through and keeping my shotgun moving. After I did that I Got a whole lot better at shooting clays. Shooting hogs at night while that are running is a hard thing so good for you.

Last edited:

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
People,

Stop complimenting DJ! His ego is bad enough without everyone telling what a good shot he is. It doesn't need to get any worse!

D

djones

I still hate you DJ!
i'm your best friend and don't really like you that much either.

What part of the State do you hunt in?
all over west texas... from the canyons in silverton to the new mexico border. where ever women have a bed and breakfast waiting

Somebody needs to find DJ a job
blasphemy!!

and what if my name was flower??

you could see the irrigation equipment in the back ground clear as a bell. I think you were using a Zeus? Which one?
i was actually parked next to the center of the pivot in the field i was hunting. the one in the vid was across the turnrow in the other field. probably 3/4 mile away. using a zeus 640 3-24, 30hz 75mm. dr. sus' vids impacted my decision. now if i could just shoot like him. i'm beginning to hate him and understand why angry bird left.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shootin DJ, you are really putting them down.