Pulsar Trail: 2. Hogs: 1

neorubio

LSB Active Member
I don't know what happened but it looks like I missed the shot. I checked zero and it looked ok. Couldn't find any blood or the hog.

Plus, I had updated my Trail and since then something is wrong with the battery. Went dead right after doing it and last night lasted less than two hours. Anyone knows if I can go back to the previous firmware?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Didn't look like a bad shot to me at all. What gun/caliber/ammo/barrel length are you shooting?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Should be a dead hog, and a dead rock.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Didn't look like a bad shot to me at all. What gun/caliber/ammo/barrel length are you shooting?
It's an old rifle I inherited from my father. A 40-year old semiautomatic FN, 270WM, shooting Norma Vulkan 156gr. I thought I might be a good idea to use it with the Trail but I think I am moving it on my Haenel Jaeger 10 (bolt action, 308WM). First I have to adapt it to the Apel mount.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
if the rock was a lot closer than the hog, you might have shot over him. however, i've seen similar circumstances on east texas hogs. hit right in the ear and pass all the way through without hitting anything.
The rock was just at 30 yards. The hog was at around 50. Not much difference.

Do you like the "pew pew" sound I added? lol

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are the screws under the mount that secure the mount to the scope tight? Are the screws that secure the mount to the rail also tight? Is the rail on the gun mounted securely? Does it hold zero with other scopes? Did u use thread locker? How many shots are you taking to make a group for your zero? At what distance are you zeroing? What is the sight height on that gun/scope combo?

I don't know anything about that ammo, but I would think u would get some blood either way at that distance with that shot... or a DRT. IMG_6719.PNG

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if the rock was a lot closer than the hog, you might have shot over him. however, i've seen similar circumstances on east texas hogs. hit right in the ear and pass all the way through without hitting anything.
funny you say that... Cletus and I shot a big boar in front of a Covert night before last at 30 yards... We had boar hogs on two other cams close by so we left him to go shoot the others, planning to circle back around and pile em all up for pics... well, 10 mins later we were getting pictures of our dead hog on his feet! He was hit in the point of the shoulder and behind the ear with 120gr SSTs. The 3rd one in the noggin put him to sleep for good though when we got back to him...

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know what happened but it looks like I missed the shot. I checked zero and it looked ok. Couldn't find any blood or the hog.

Plus, I had updated my Trail and since then something is wrong with the battery. Went dead right after doing it and last night lasted less than two hours. Anyone knows if I can go back to the previous firmware?
they are tough critters and won't bleed much hit high in the shoulder like that

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like you pulled the shot, that is my opinion!! But you smacked the snot out of the rock!! BANG BANG!!!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just watched the end of the video with the rock. With that ammo, and a 3" sight height, if the rock was 25-30 yards and the hog was 50-60 yards your impact could be over 2" higher than your crosshairs at 50-60 yards. It also kinda looks like you might have even hit .5" or 1" high on the rock from your crosshairs. So that could make it over a 3" difference at 50-60 yards.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Are the screws under the mount that secure the mount to the scope tight? Are the screws that secure the mount to the rail also tight? Is the rail on the gun mounted securely? Does it hold zero with other scopes? Did u use thread locker? How many shots are you taking to make a group for your zero? At what distance are you zeroing? What is the sight height on that gun/scope combo?

I don't know anything about that ammo, but I would think u would get some blood either way at that distance with that shot... or a DRT. View attachment 5392
I would like to have an answer to all your questions but I don't since I took the Trail to a Gunsmith and he did all the job. The only thing I can do is to check the mount and the screws and they all look tight and fine. I commented on other thread that after the first and second hogs I shot the zero wasn't correct, that is why I tightened the screws so hard that broke one. What I cannot understand what happened here if the zero looks to be fine and the shot too, but I couldn´t find even a drop of blood following the hog's steps for more than 100 yards :confused: Might it be the bullets? I had never shot with this one in particular.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
I just watched the end of the video with the rock. With that ammo, and a 3" sight height, if the rock was 25-30 yards and the hog was 50-60 yards your impact could be over 2" higher than your crosshairs at 50-60 yards. It also kinda looks like you might have even hit .5" or 1" high on the rock from your crosshairs. So that could make it over a 3" difference at 50-60 yards.
Thank you for the information! ;)

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Look on to me ... hogs are tough so you never know. Always next time!