Pulsar Apex XD50 First Hog Shot

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Okay, we were coyote hunting. Winds were out of the southeast, quarter value toward us, 8-12 mph, but the wiggler and Foxpro in the field 70 yards out, sheltered by a fence line windbreak of trees. The Hessian, my hunting buddy, said he saw what he thought was a coyote coming out of the bottoms. I got on my scope and identified it as a hog. Little did I know, he was seeing a coyote way off to our left and I was seeing a hog straight out. He panned and said, "And there's a hog..." So the hog became the primary target.

When the video starts, you can barely make out our chatter, discussing various factors and who would shoot. As we had watched the hog come in, we could see its butt was towards us and waited for it to turn.

The scope I am using is the new Pulsar Apex XD50 thermal scope.
http://www.pulsar-nv.com/upload/iblock/09e/instr_apex_thermal_sight.pdf

This is an entry level 384x288 resolution 2x (optical) scope that will digitally zoom to 4x or it can be used as in the video with picture in picture where the smaller picture is the zoomed 4x view. I had hunted with it the previous night with no luck, but watched various animals and learned the features of the scope. The PIP took some getting used to, but seems to be a nifty feature. You get both zoom for aiming and a wide field of view as well.

The video is of worse quality than the image seem through the scope. The crosshairs and text bar at the bottom of the screen look sharp through the scope, but as seen in the video, look a tad fuzzy. The hog also looked sharper through the scope, but was still a small target with just 2x or 4x at that distance.

I zeroed the scope with the POI just off of the tiny "+" crosshair vertical line at 1 o'clock at 100 yards. Given that the scope is a loaner, the cost of ammo, and that the zero was less than 1 MOA from center, I did not zero further. Bullet drop at that distance is just over 6" for the Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo.

I did my cleansing breaths waiting for the hog to turn. The hog turned and I fired. My intent was for the bullet to impact below the midline of the shoulder and hopefully come out forward of the opposite shoulder. The hog was calm and not moving much at the time of the shot.

The bullet hit and the hog ran. The followup shot was just plain wrong, no lead.

A search that night and this morning resulted in no recovery.

I have run the ballistics for various wind values and speeds relative to my 100 yard zero for the first shot. I have checked the video frame by frame for flinch and found none. I made what I believed to be a reasonable shot, but no hog.

Rechecked zero after the hunt and zero was same. The scope performed and the bullet hit, so the rest is the wind, the hog, terminal ballistics, and me. Obviously, there was a failure.

With that said, I think the Pulsar Apex XD50 is a pretty nifty entry level thermal scope. I have a Zeus that I am quite happy with, but if I was on a tight budget, this might be a way I would go. The scope I was shooting was a preview scope, loaner to me. I don't know when this model will go for sale in the US. It was offered to me for a few days and I happily took the opportunity.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Like that PiP feature. Nice touch there B ! Too bad it didn't anchor him.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya, nice going and nice scope for that distance. I bet he is coyotee food!!! BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like a good shot, nice and steady. Wonder what happened? Maybe another zombie hog!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The clarity on that unit in the video looks pretty darn good to me at that distance. Thanks for posting this.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See I thought the hog was facing you..Did I read they are about $4400

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw 3999 on Amazon, if it is the same one?? For some reason this type (slimmer design) has more appeal to me. BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely the price will drop some after they come out. I would not be in a hurry to buy one until others have gotten them and see how they perform for a while. Pulsar has a great warranty program, but even so, best to not need such a program.

Hopefully, I will get out one more time with it before I have to return it.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's a tough shot at that power.

Consider your last screen shot which appears to be consistent with the video and with a 100 yard zero and 6" drop, impact would be 'somewhere close' to the line and dot on this picture:

medium.jpg

Then as you stated other factors; wind, what grouping your gun shoots at 100 yards under ideal conditions, if it shoots 1 MOA, which is 1" at 100 yards, then it is 2.2" at 220 yards, shooting from a blind window is different, torque on the rifle, etc.

I think the hold should have been at the top of the back, but at that distance and power is hard to do.

That being said, you held steadier than I could have lol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea I read what you said, and what was in the video, so you zeroed the scope over 4" high at 100 yards? Not sure what the vertical crosshair looks like as you shot a dot?

Per your words "Given that the scope is a loaner, the cost of ammo, and that the zero was less than 1 MOA from center", Correct?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Going back to your first post trying to understand, you were less than 1 MOA above the center, that makes it less than 1" above center, that means that the aim can only be 1" above where you have the dot, as well as the impact will be close to 1" above.

Edit: that read like mud lol, here is what I'm saying:

If zeroing less than 1 MOA (1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards), then that means the true aim is still only 1 MOA above actual aim, and impact is only 1 MOA above also, but the you have to adjust for velocity loss (bullet drop), which is probably close to the 6" you stated.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Zeroed "high" is relative.

I zeroed at the top point of the tiny crosshair (+), but just off to the right at 1 o'clock "within 1 MOA." I figured that would be misunderstood and so included the graphic in the video.

Back when I shot red dot reticles, I always zeroed at the top of the dot and then the dot reticle was more useful over distance as the red dot would cover relative bullet climb and then bullet drop for a longer range. In that manner, I could always be certain that my shot would be within the dot for a certain range of yards. Basically, this all boils down to using the red dot as a "point blank" reticle. I don't have a red do here and chose a reticle with a tiny + to accomplish the same task.

Similarly, a lot of hunters will zero a couple of inches above the horizontal crosshair at 100 yards, knowing they are above the horizontal crosshair there and then being 2-4" low at 200 yards. So I am doing the same thing, except I use a top point of the reticle (top of the red dot, top of the tiny +, etc.) as a definite visual reference to accomplish the same task. So long as the tiny + is on target, my shot should be vertically distributed in the elevation of the tiny + between top and bottom. Distances close to 100 yards will be at the top. The more the distance differs from 100 yards, the further the shot drops within the vertical spread of the tiny +.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Let me ask a question, and this is no offense. If you zero dead center of your crosshairs at 100 yards and know you have a 6" drop at 220 yards, where will your point of impact be in correlation to your crosshairs at 220 yards ?

And similarly, if you know you have a 15" drop at say 300 yards, where would the point of impact be?

This would be close, doesn't take in to account how accurate your gun is, how well you shoot etc

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video Brian...just sayin'

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I am sure you are trying to make a point, but I don't know what it is.

Yes, sorry. Your POI would be 6" low and 15" low respectively. Meaning, you sighted in 1" high at 100, your drop would be 5" below your crosshairs at 220 with a known 6" bullet drop due to velocity change. And similarly 14" lower at 300 yards with a known 15" drop due to velocity change and a 1" high zero at 100 yards.

So, on your shot on the hog, your hold for the crosshairs /dot would need to be 5" above where you wanted it to hit.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, but I didn't zero that way at the vertical center of the crosshair and I didn't have to figure out have many inches below center the shot would hit.

You and I both agree on where the aim point should be (and is where I aimed given my zero) and we both agree on the amount of drop below the POA. The only difference is that you prefer that I zero at the center of the crosshair and visually estimate the inches of drop on the target and I chose to zero at the top of it and use the height of the vertical crosshair as a functional visual drop reticle. In the end, we are both getting the exact same result using different approaches.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Someone speak up if I'm wrong....
So your zero at 100 yds is just under an inch high and maybe 1/3 of an inch to the right??
Via hornadys website
Factory 123 sst 6.5 Grendel ballistics....
Velocity-2350 fps (16 inch test barrel)
Ballistic coefficient- 510
Sight height- 2.7 inches (I guessed based off distance between center of bore and avg distance to top of rail.. plus half of the height of the scope). Given those numbers, a 55 yard zero would put you .7 inches high at 100 and 5.5 inches low at 225 yards. Zeroing a hair to the right would put you just under an inch to the right at 225 yds also. On a quartering hog (depending how sharply he's quartering and which way he's twisted his body... Plus, maybe the wind gusted to the right adding to that distance a little??), that inch could make a big difference where the bullet enters and exits.
With a 24 inch test barrel your muzzle velocity is advertised at 2580 fps. All other variables equal, your impact would be .9 high at 100 and 3.1 inches low at 225 yds (plus that almost inch to the right and wind).
I'm not sure which "dot" was your zero point on the crosshairs but maybe it will explain something if your ballistic numbers are different than mine.
Also the way that hog bucked then ran makes me think u hit him. Maybe it missed the vitals and busted up his guts and it took him several thousand yards and a day to expire.. Or maybe he's a zombie and just didn't die?
Either way, thanks for sharing the vid and the info on the new thermal.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
not sure blake, I only went off of what Brian said saying he had a 6" drop, I can run it through my ballistics calculator...but will have to wait until morning, wait it is morning already lol