pulsar Apex XD 50A vs XD 38a

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have used the IR Defense 640 ~1.25x Patrol and the 2.5x 35mm MK II, which gets right to the native magnification issue and to a lesser extend the lens size difference.

IMO, about 2-3x native magnification is the best compromise for night hunting.

Bigger lens are better lens, but I wouldn't sweat any difference if the unit was otherwise what I was looking for. You will loose some performance relative to a bigger lens in crappy thermal conditions, and that is especially true with background. But critters still stand out, even if range is reduced.

JPK

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have used both. You get a bigger lens and more magnification with the XD50a over the 38a, resulting in a better image over a greater distance. Unless you just can't afford the difference, the XD50a is the way to go.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Me. Love my 50a!
Spotted coyotes out to 900+yds
Hog at 750yds last night.

West D

LSB Member
Thx for replies ! I purchased my 38a last year and have been real happy with it . I have been looking at videos on the 50a but viseos just don't give you real life views on a thermal . I went calling the other night for coyotes and even in poor conditions was still able to get 2 coyotes using the 38a as a scanner . I keep thinking about upgrading to a 50a but just not sure if it will be worth the extra money over what I am using now. thx! Mark

D

djones

i think brian has the most experience comparing devices. he uses them regularly from his backyard. he definitely prefers the bigger lens... for most of his applications

pov_zpsjuftc5lw.jpg

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thx for replies ! I purchased my 38a last year and have been real happy with it . I have been looking at videos on the 50a but viseos just don't give you real life views on a thermal . I went calling the other night for coyotes and even in poor conditions was still able to get 2 coyotes using the 38a as a scanner . I keep thinking about upgrading to a 50a but just not sure if it will be worth the extra money over what I am using now. thx! Mark

If you don't have a handheld scanner, I think you'd be better served using the $'s to get one rather than on upgrading to,the 50.

The Pulsar XD 19A makes a very nice spotter for the money.

JPK