Processing Hogs and Hot Weather

dan11589

I'm looking for tips and advice on how you all go about processing hogs. Also, at what point is it a waste of time due to hot temps? I was wondering with summer on the way how quickly the meat is going to spoil. My process is generally gut it where I kill it then take it somewhere to hang so I can skin it. Then I toss it in a cooler with ice and depending on time of day I take it wherever and get it processed. Usually from the time that I start gutting until I'm tossing it in the cooler its about an hour give or take. I've not done much hunting of large game in warm weather so this is new for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to waste my time cleaning them if its just going to go bad before I can get it processed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hunt when it is almost 100* and drag to the rack, hang them up, take the backstraps and rear hams, other parts when I want them, I don't gut unless I am cooking the whole pig. . Toss in the ice chest, I always have 4 frozen bottles and a little ice w me, first gas station I buy a bag of ice do not open and put on top. At home 2-3 hrs after death I wash it all w a hose, add a gallon or 2 of water w 1/2 cup kosher salt per gallon and then fill it up w ice covering it all. after 24 hrs I pour all the water out, add only 1 gallon w 1/2 cup salt again and let it rest for 3-4 days keeping it iced. Never had an issue, I process my own but could take to a processor after 3-4 day in the brine.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I take the meat only on the spot. This is the big boar I shot tonight. 5 minutes later I had his backstraps out and would have taken the rest of the meat only in about 20 minutes but I have too much now. Just split it down the back, cut out backstrap, skin farther down, get meat from front leg, skin back by rear get that meat. Flip it over and repeat. Meat gets stuck in grocery bags on the spot, in my backpack and into fridge or cooler at home or in truck. No guts, no blood, no dirt, no dragging, just clean meat ready to eat in less than a half hour. Same with deer. I was home and showered by 8:30 tonight. That is nice.New Phone 038.jpg

dan11589

Man, I appreciate the responses. I've got a lot to learn about this part of the process. My goal is to be as self sufficient as possible. Are there some videos on youtube or somewhere that I can watch? I'm starting to get the feeling that my brother who is the hog hunter still has a lot to learn himself.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have done a deer you can do a hog. I need a grinder to make it all into sausage but now I smoke the amount I want till it is like pulled or sliced pork and eat it. 3 hrs in the outdoor smoker and 3-6 in the inside roaster. No processor needed. there are youtubes, just do a search

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hot weather hunting is a good time to join the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society