Problem... I'm a smoker. Need alternative while hunting...

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg
Figured I'd give um a try... Put um in bag with hunting gear

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
interesting, thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Scent tabs. You can get them at the sporting goods store or in the bathroom in the urinals

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I usually park my truck or ATV at the blind. It is off to the side several yards so that the pigs can't see it if they are at the feeder. I'm wondering if maybe my vehicle may have something to do with spooking them, if that is even happening at all.
Should I be leaving my ATV 100 yds away and walk the rest of the way to the blind? I got a new Yamaha 450 Grizzly recently and it is relatively quiet. I ride it approx 1 mile from the truck all the way to the blind.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep that will do it too, they can smell the exhaust, I always see less when I park at the blind which makes it out of sight. Sometime they come right on in others not so much.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Given a hog's ability to smell, it won't matter if you are smoking or dipping. If the breeze is in their favor, they are going to smell you.

I would walk the extra 100 yards to the stand. If they are in the area when you arrive, better to have the engine cut off in the distance from them.

They smell the exhaust as noted. They smell the fuel. They smell the oil.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^ yeah what Brian said^^

OK I looked at the wafers, I just don't think they will last that long, I use spray for the air and surfaces, pine, earth and such, also water down hog and deer scent, lots cheaper and I believe more effective

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, actually the wafers last quite a while. You put them back in the container at the end of the hunt and the preserve very well. I have the acorn scented variety. To be honest, I can't tell they do a bit of good. For the first couple of hours, they are pungent enough to keep you from being able to smell hogs approaching, however.

My hunting buddy swears by them and has been using the same set for a few years. They still emit quite a bit of smell.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I may try them then, am in a pine forest and no dirt but lots of sand so the pine then...can you refresh them w the pine spray I use??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well at least I know where to get the refills!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I'll plan on spraying my clothes and boots with scent away. Now all I need is to figure out which cover scent to use. We are hunting the river bottom of the Nueces river near Three Rivers, Tx.
No pines & few oaks. Do they make 'mud' cover scent? :D What should I try?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got the pine and doe estrus to try, they had earth, and acorn and another I forget

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter