Planted Cornfield action

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here's some video footage of some action we got into last night.

I got a call from the farmer son about going to some other property in the area to shoot some hogs. And of course I was happy to help, especially since I've been to their field four times now and have not seen the first hog. This includes an all night Friday outing. I previously told his father that I had a second night vision rifle that I would let him shoot if he ever wanted to go with me.

We get to the field yesterday evening at sunset and see a single pig in the edge of the field which now has one inch tall corn started to sprout through the mud.

We walk causally down the road and get parallel to the hog which puts us less than 230 yards away from the hog. Being daylight, we decided to not approach through a muddy field, but decided to go ahead and shoot from the turn row. I wanted to let my partner shoot, and my job was to make sure the video was rolling. Neither one of us did our part. The lone hog made it back to the woods unharmed, and I manage to get the DVR turned on, but switched off the rec button somehow during the hand off of the rifle.

Back to the tailgate to wait for more to come out. We didn't have much time to get settled in when I spotted a group of hogs in the field near the same spot where we'd just shot at the single. Being dark now we set out across the field to narrow the distance. Now we're both equipped with a rifle and are now standing about 50-60 yards away from the band of seed robbers. I wanted to the young man to shoot first........

We sent the farmer who owned this field a message that we had two dead pigs on the ground in case his farm hands wanted them, and he sent us a pin drop to another location to go check.

In the blink of an eye we find ourselves approaching another group of five hogs. This field was very clean and planted flat so the walking was much easier and we closed the gap to the hogs in no time. The trap was now set....

I think I see hog number five make his escape around 27 seconds into the video clip.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kill ratio on the second set definitely increased. Congrats. Looks like a big pile of fun for an outing.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Kill ratio on the second set definitely increased. Congrats. Looks like a big pile of fun for an outing.
Hahaha. I'm not embarrassed to post when I miss also. It happens

The kid who was with is a great shooter. I only wish we could've gotten that first one on video to possibly see what went wrong.

Learn from your mistakes. I know I am swinging out too far ahead of them in last two outings.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! You have hogs falling down like bowling pins. Good job!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hahaha. I'm not embarrassed to post when I miss also. It happens

The kid who was with is a great shooter. I only wish we could've gotten that first one on video to possibly see what went wrong.

Learn from your mistakes. I know I am swinging out too far ahead of them in last two outings.
And, sounds like his dad won't mind having those areas "open game" for ya now too. Nice work.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome videos especially the 2nd. Very good shooting, I love watching them flip. So close to no witnesses!

D

djones

now that's how a smack down is supposed to go. if anyone tells me wildfowler can't kill hogs i'll tell them we aren't talking about the same wildfowler.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that was a lot of fun, that second group got wiped out,well done

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, way to knock em down.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Corn fields are a blast. Just a suggestion, the hunting with multiple shooters try to count down. If you're the guy counting you would ask shooters if they are ready, when there are you say 3...2....1....bang. Some go on one and some go on zero. I like to go on zero so that everyone has more time to get the cadence down. The goal is for all to shoot at the same time on the first shot. Just some advice that may help you. Great shooting on the second sounder!!!!!!!!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Corn fields are a blast. Just a suggestion, the hunting with multiple shooters try to count down. If you're the guy counting you would ask shooters if they are ready, when there are you say 3...2....1....bang. Some go on one and some go on zero. I like to go on zero so that everyone has more time to get the cadence down. The goal is for all to shoot at the same time on the first shot. Just some advice that may help you. Great shooting on the second sounder!!!!!!!!

We've tried that before, something always seems to go wrong for one of the shooters. (Always me that something goes wrong witho_Oo_Oo_O)

I wish we'd have done that in the first big group the way they were lined up like that. If we have the opportunity where they are bunched up again like that I'll definitely suggest it. Hopefully tonight.

Thanks!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We've tried that before, something always seems to go wrong for one of the shooters. (Always me that something goes wrong witho_Oo_Oo_O)

I wish we'd have done that in the first big group the way they were lined up like that. If we have the opportunity where they are bunched up again like that I'll definitely suggest it. Hopefully tonight.

Thanks!
You have some rain coming your way. Houston was shut down today just cause of 16+ inches of rain:)!! WET WET!! Down on the coast we had 6 1/2

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You have some rain coming your way. Houston was shut down today just cause of 16+ inches of rain:)!! WET WET!! Down on the coast we had 6 1/2
Thanks for the heads up. That's why we're going again tonight.

I think y'all get more rain than we do, I think at my hunting club we've had three 5+ inch rains in past six weeks. (Can't remember the exact time period)

Thanks..... He said while waiting in Yazoo county MS for it to get dark.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is great hunting over there in Yazoo keep it up!!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun times

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting on the 2nd sounder ... 1st was warm up. If there are more than 2 shooters, we tell everyone once we start counting down that is it - if your pig turns or something goes wrong we aren't going to stop. There have been way too many times where one friend will say "oh my hog moved, okay I'm ready", then right after another friend will say "oh wait I lost my hog".

With two shooters it's usually more manageable ... unless you have a ADHD hunting friend like I do.... lol