***Piglet Story***

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Piglet Story:

Funny story, was out hunting w a friend, we were about 1000yds away from each other hunting 2 feeder location, it was still fairly early, light out but probably 7pm. This was before the night hunting w lights permit had been received by us. I hear a shot and as usual we sit still for 30 or so minutes after the shot to see if anything else comes out.

I have 3 stands all about the same distance apart so there is a likelihood that at the shot other hogs will just go to the next feeder so I was calmly waiting in great anticipation. Here comes the call and he says I took a shot and think I hit the boar so am looking for it. Oh well I decide to go back to the truck and drive around to his location. As I drive up there is no stealthy stalking his truck is running, pointing into the woods with the headlights on as it had gotten dark by now.

So there we are looking for blood my truck next to his running and lights on, flashlight and guns in hand. He says he shot at a boar in the middle of other hogs, sows and piglets, after the shot everything ran and the boar went into the woods. We can find no blood but start to hear hog sounds REMEMBER, we cannot hunt at night with lights yet. The assessment was it was a miss, I turn around and in the tall brush and grass see shoats darting back and forth, 30 min before there had been a shot and both trucks are still running w lights on!

So we stand around wondering why the miss watching the shoats coming back in for the feed that was out, then 6 piglets show up, well great, we have fun watching but aware the sows were close, pointing our Glocks and following the shoats with the lasers on, could have had meat at anytime! REMEMBER we cannot hunt at night yet, darn it. Anyway the shoats and piglets are brave keep getting closer and closer. NOW the sows show up, 150lbs or so, one is so PG her belly almost touches the ground. My buddy wants me to grab a piglet, but I know the sow will attack as soon as it squeals, I put the tailgate down so I can jump in but the sows are not bothered by us. We are diligently trying not to let the piglets put us between them and the sows. They all are feeding towards us and at about 3 yards away I kick some dirt at the sows so they stop advancing.

We just stand there talking and shaking our heads we cannot shoot one, these hogs were there when we left after another 30 minutes, I could have grabbed a piglet at anytime they were all relaxed around us. Never seen that behavior before or since and could not believe we could not shoot them. Probably could as we were on the lease, private land but did not want to take the chance. This is why I am still in that same area on the lease today and take 30-40 hogs a year out of the 300 acres or so in the middle of our 2000 acre lease, surrounded by creeks and swamps. Today they hear, smell or see you they are gone, no tame pigs any longer!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to go to Ufundit sites and beg for travelling $$, hunting $$ and thermal $$

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
interesting..how long ago did this happen

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blake, I had just taken over this area not hunted in a year or so, I am guessing 3 years. Now you can hunt at night, no permits, using whatever you have for hogs and yotes.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
You should have grabbed one, took it home, then get out there the next day and get it squealing, would probably get those sows to come back in. Should have probably just grabbed one of those sows, chicken lol. You weren't hunting at night, sure there wasn't anything illegal about grabbing one.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave I was afraid my fat butt could not grab the piglet and jump in the back of the truck before the sow took my leg off...lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you ever get a chance to do it again all I request is video lol!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah it is a good thing I don't hunt or shoot w video...LOL It is becoming more the norm as cameras and night vision cameras come down in size and price, I guess I will have to get in the video mode...I was hoping the X-Sight would do that for me.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Corrected my above comment where I had shoe instead of sow, hate these 'dumb phones'.

Anyways, think you'd be slow jumping in the truck, I can't jump at all, but I would have still tried, with my Glock in my other hand lol.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We had piglets come right up to is a few years ago on my friends land when we were filling the feeders. I hated that we couldn't shoot them after dark. When I climbed down off the feeder they were eating the corn that fell right at my feet. I should have grabbed one then and fed it for a while. Now they don't come anywhere near you

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story Frank!