Pecans

Froggerzack

Diana, TX (East TX)
Where I work I have noticed premature (green) pecans dropping from trees which I presume is from squirrels sampling them. Do hogs eat these or do they wait for the them to mature?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex loves to hunt pecan orchids. Shot my biggest hog yet after he was feeding on an old pecan dump.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pecans and soybeans seem to be hog favorites they will travel pretty far for them.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
W you are so right there. I flew half way across the country to shoot TX hogs. Look forward to doing it again hopefully in the not to,distant future.

marineimaging

LSB Member
I think the question was if they would eat them green with thick husks vs mature and sweet. Thanks to Texas A&M Wildlife Extension - http://www.extension.org/pages/63655/food-habits-of-feral-hogs#.VECtj7DF-So

Hogs forage in several ways:
(1) browsing and grazing – leaves, fronds, stems, etc.
(2) foraging on the ground – fruits of woody species, fungi, small animals, vertebrate carrion, etc.
(3) rooting – rhizomes, tubers, bulbs, corms, invertebrate larvae, small fossorial vertebrates, etc.
FH Predation of fawn.jpg Feral hogs will consume earthworms, arachnids, crustaceans, insects, myriapods, gastropods, nematodes, fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals. Feral hogs will also eat the egg, larval/immature and adult forms, as well as the remains or carcasses of these species. Predation is directed at either young animals or less mobile species. Feral hogs consume a small amount of fungi, specifically the fruiting bodies of fungi, year-round. The amount consumed depends on availability of other forage resources. In coastal habitats, feral hogs opportunistically consume green and brown seaweeds on exposed shores. Consumption is limited to feral hogs living in locations where green and brown seaweeds are accessible. Given the range of feral hogs in the United States, algae is a minor component of the overall feral hog diet in this country. The commercial crops eaten by these animals variously include grains/cereals (wheat, sorghum, barley, hay, rye, oats, millet, maize/corn, and rice), vegetables (various potatoes, yams, squash, turnips, rutabagas, beets, cassava, lettuce, cabbage, beans, peas, soybeans, and artichokes), fruits (pumpkins, grapes, blueberries, pineapples, avocados, bananas, apples, various citrus species, watermelons, cantaloupes, and coconuts), and other cultivated species (cotton, linseed, sunflower, peanuts, almonds, oilseed/rapeseed, groundnuts, pecans, clover, thyme, basil, oil palms, sugar cane, rubber seeds, padi, and turf/sod/pasturage). Feral hogs will consume the fruits, seeds, leaves, stems, shoots, bulbs, tubers, and roots of plants. The makeup of this varies significantly by location. The general plant groups consumed by these animals collectively include mosses, ferns, horsetails, conifers, and flowering plants. Native plants comprise most of the feral hog diet. Of the various species of plants consumed, mast (acorns, beechnuts, chestnuts, and hickory nuts) appears to be most important and preferred. Subsurface herbaceous materials, including roots, tubers, bulbs, etc., are widespread and important staples in feral hog diets throughout their distribution. Feral hogs tend to prefer fleshy roots or corms to woody roots. Because of their relatively high digestibility and concentration of individual plants, agricultural crops are a highly preferred food resource for feral hogs when available.

So, I would imagine so.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes, they will. There are green pecans falling in the orchards I hunt and we have already killed hogs over them. Pecans=hog Crack.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
whatever works, works