Palo Pinto County Hog Hunt Part 1

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This was a pretty neat little hunt. dfwroadkill had checked out the property earlier in the day and had scared up hogs everywhere he and the landowner went. We thought we would start by watching a wheat field that was being grown as feed for the 20+ head in the field. It started off slow, but then things got really interesting as more and more hogs kept appearing, a total of 3 sounds and ~75 hogs (they would not hold still for a proper counting, LOL). The problem was that 60 of those hogs were >350 yards away and the near hogs didn't have much in the way of larger individuals, but they were close and walked up on us a couple of times. Figuring our stealth luck would not hold out indefinitely, we went ahead and worked this near sounder.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
That was a pile o' pigs. There will be fun for days there.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going!! Heck that was a mess of pork. I am sure we could see some more videos in the future?? Way to go guys!! BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, dfwroadkill is still down there and I will combine our vids for the next part of the night. It was a stalk that was pretty convoluted. I started to feel like a POW escapee having gone under several electric fences to get to a group of hogs. The rancher has several of the fields divided up by electric wires to hold the cattle. You know the routine where you try to crawl under the wire, not get shocked, but try not to crawl through the prickly pear cactus. Fun.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go guys. Nice choice on the "bird in hand" sounder. It would stink if the close group of hogs alerted and ran off all the hogs in the field..
Good shooting and nice hogs down.

Dennis

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh man could have been 12 of them down but they ran by so fast!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, Yes. Sadly, my mobility was limited being on the ground and I had the left hand FOF. dfwroadkill had the right hand FOF. After I overled the first one, I went back looking for slower targets/stragglers, but only found his wounded hog.

As the first night out on a new place, not being very familiar with it, and particular the issue with livestock, we were conservative in our hunting so as to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Almost had to be standing w the tripod trigger stick and even then be as quick as lightening! Could not believe they were moving so fast and unexpectedly too.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
loads of hogs in such a small field ... good hogs down. Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun to see so many hogs but frustrating probably to only be able to bag a couple! Good job as always Brian.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog Nirvana there! Need more ammo! I was really hoping to watch a hog endo there... pullin' fer ya on that shot! Great action. LOL... love the nosey moo-deer.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awe man you woulda had at least 18 of em if that thin wouldn't have messed up your field of view after the first shot..

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He is definitely covered up in hogs. Great shoot. Can't wait for the follow-up

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man there are a lot of black dots in those fields.
Great video! Gettem Boys....

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang target rich environment and some kills with the rifle that goes PING!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pinity Ping Ping Ping Ping. Was definitely lacking pings. Need to camp out down there for a few weeks.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm jealous, almost every time I go out only one hog comes out to play. That is a target rich environment!