Other uses for thermal

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have not been hog hunting in a while Because it's duck season but I did go out last night and took a walk to look for varmints and found one.

I have also discovered my scope gets some horizontal lines that show up with the colder temps. They go away with nuking the scope.

I apologize for the length of this video, I didn't have any way to edit from the duck camp.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Whoops, forgot the pic.

Beaver. Missed him three times in the water. Then the stupid thing came up on the bank. Guess he wanted to know what all that commotion. Skip to end of the video For the beaver shot
image_zps9qj96xmo.jpeg

Last edited:

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They must show up better in winter with the colder water temp? In summer, sometimes all you can see with thermal is the wake they leave while swimming.

I have a buddy with river frontage property and we chase beaver together in the spring time. It's very fun!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There was still one in the water, I think the one on the bank was another one not the one you were shooting at in the water...good job

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There was still one in the water, I think the one on the bank was another one not the one you were shooting at in the water...good job
In that case I'd better go back tonight after dinner.

Nothing like a little beaver before bedtime

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You eating or skinning them out? or just getting them off the property?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You eating or skinning them out? or just getting them off the property?
Considered vermin around here. They are a major problem in spring when I pull the boards to drain duck property. They stop up the pipes every night. I literally have to go check them each morning or we'll never get the water off the place.

However, I shot a large one on dry ground in February one year. Like 60lbs and I wanted a picture of me holding it up by the tail. When I touched the fur I could not believe how soft and luxurious the pelt felt on that dry beaver. I was so amazed that I spoke about it for the rest of the night. I even mentioned it to my mother and she said her favorite fur coats are made of beaver.

We've never tried to do anything with them but I felt like we should have done something with that one. I called some beaver blanket company that advertises in ducks unlimited magazine to see if I could send in hides. They don't take hides and their finished products were too rich my blood.

Honestly were just glad to get rid of them. 99% of them that we kill in water sink and we never see them again.

The one from last night is now coyote bait.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah they are good to eat if you know how to cook them and I would do the hides if I were you, just something else to subsist on, there is a market for them. I see them selling on the Alaska shows all the time but those are trappers and they are prepped a certain way for the buyers.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Beaver hunting with the thermal, hmmmm, Never thought of that before lol.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way nice, I do not believe the pelts in Mississippi are worth much. I used to kill them for the ditch board and get payed for the tail plus get money for the pelt. Way to go, they are troubles!! BANG BANG!!

JPK

LSB Active Member
My MKII gets the horizontal lines when it's cold too, so does my Patrol. As the units warm up they go away, and a fresh NUC now and again minimizes the issue for me.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice beaver hunt

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are we still talking about hunting animals, cause all the talk about beaver shots and a little beaver before bed time is getting me turned on?
Up north, I used to take off my beaver fur hat, brush it on a co-worker's cheek and tell him I was gonna spread it around that I'd caught him with his face in beaver. Got a couple of shoulder bruises for that one. LOL (worth it)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Couple of more things to do with thermal. --->
1. Look for turkey on the roost in the middle of the night. Come back in the early AM,set up,and call them down.
2. Take a look at your bbl or can feeder to tell how much corn is in it. The feeder will show up hot to the top of the corn. --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm not a turkey hunter so that thought never crossed my mind, however that sounds like a wonderful use for thermal.

Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for finding leaks in your home or building too, vents in the attic and air handler also