One of these days I'll learn to lead them a bit....

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah.... deep East TX in July. Where the bugs will make a meal out of you even if you've turned into a puddle by midnight.....

We're sitting at the top of a sloping pasture with a sandy hill on the left side at about 300 yards, just enjoying a tasty beverage and wishing there was something stronger than DEET. This pasture has been the most productive location at spotting sounders going back and forth between the creek beds on either side of the pasture. It doesn't see as much rooting as other areas, but is often the most likely spot to see groups.

Photo Jul 25, 10 15 34 AM.jpg

At about 2am, we see a single pig come out and start scouting around. It was stopping every couple yards to sniff the air, never mind there wasn't much air movement anyway. It's not uncommon for a single boar to pass through and if we wait to see if anything else is following, we miss out on a shot. Fortunately this one is scouting ahead of the rest and about 10 more start out from the woods on the left shortly there after.

By this time, I've started stalking up toward them and get a bit over half way there when I see that same lead pig stick her nose back up in the air and leave it there..... I figure she must be finally smelling my pretty ripe ass at this point so I figure this is as close as I was going to get.

I get setup on the sticks and:

First one got a 120sst right below the ear and drops. The others start to scatter and I forget I'm zoomed in, so I'm thinking they're closer than they really are. So round after round must be hitting behind them. I hear a couple smacks and squeals, but all the rest made it back to the trees.....

As Rick said..... better shoot more skeet!

Photo Jul 23, 3 06 34 AM.jpg

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good learning experience. Video is great for that. I had trouble separating some of the microphone sounds from the impact noises, but my best guess is that you hit at least 3 hogs. The hog running at 16 seconds appears to have a high, mid back shot. You can see the hot spot of the wound.

Just curious, were you in a blind and left to stalk after the hogs?

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No blind this time, we wanted to catch any possible breeze would could. We were sitting in the 4wheeler where we could see more of the pasture, but you can hear it coming for a good distance so I stalked up on foot.

I know I heard a couple hits, but they sure didn't slow them down any. The gopro is in it's waterproof case so audio is not as good as it could be, I may change out the back for the one with the holes in it.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You wonder how they get away when you hear the bullets slapping the snot out of them! Nice vid! BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know I heard a couple hits, but they sure didn't slow them down any.

You know, even with a heart/lung shot, they can still go upwards of 100 yards and much of that will be at full speed. Heck, even with a broken leg/shoulder, they can keep up a pretty good head of steam for a while.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
those darn zoom buttons, otherwise you would have had them all!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Regardless of what did or didn't get away, a good time was had by all..... including the bugs I'm sure!

I'm really liking this gopro recorder. It plays well with my dislike of cables and dangly things...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You found 'ol Blew Eyes! Nice shot on that one. Too much fun there, chasing pigs with lead. Congrats on gettin' at least one for the smoker.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You found 'ol Blew Eyes! Nice shot on that one. Too much fun there, chasing pigs with lead. Congrats on gettin' at least one for the smoker.

'ol Blew eyes is right, she had the cartoon eye pop going on....
surprised-wolf-eyes-pop-out-of-head-eyes-spinning-wolf-smiling-video-id464600952

Photo Jul 23, 3 06 49 AM.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My eyes looked like that watching you miss...I was like...what the *$%&*!......just kidding! Looks like fun, at least you were out there!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video Oso. What part do deep east tx were you in?

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video! Those things can absorb some damage and keep going.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a little north of Palestine. Good buddy has some family acreage out there we have some fun on.

Got a hog down at least! You definitely were hitting them, hogs are just tough and sometimes will keep trucking. Sometimes I bow hunt not too far from Palestine.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video, nice headshot, I definitely expected a couple more of those to drop when you pulled the trigger! Man what suppressor were you using? Sounded like a pellet gun.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just a little north of Palestine. Good buddy has some family acreage out there we have some fun on.
Ok, I forgive you. That's about an hour and a half away. I was going to give you grief for not stopping by for an adult beverage or two.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With the picture and yardage marked out I thought you were swinging a 9 iron.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video, nice headshot, I definitely expected a couple more of those to drop when you pulled the trigger! Man what suppressor were you using? Sounded like a pellet gun.
Gemtech Sandstorm. I love that titanium can, it's as short and light as anything I've found. If they hadn't discontinued it, I'd probably have a second one!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With the picture and yardage marked out I thought you were swinging a 9 iron.
Im a pitching wedge kinda guy.....

Ok, I forgive you. That's about an hour and a half away. I was going to give you grief for not stopping by for an adult beverage or two.
I'll definitely take you up on that sooner or later! These once a year meet and greets are too far apart....