Old New Guy in N. GA

MapMan

Handle: MapMan, I guess because I am mostly lost without one. Retired Army Vietnam Vet. Flew rotary wing first 14 years and old Army airplanes & helos the last 10. Been out of shooting arena for a number of years. Got back into firearms, shooting, reloading, 18 months ago and interested in Hog hunting. So, I'll be asking lots of questions after I scan this site first.

Currently have a .17 HMR built by Voltquarsen on a 10-22 action for fun and small annoying critters like mice and rats. A must have 5.56/.223 Ruger gas piston 20 inch barrel. Two .223 bolt actions. A "I drank the purple coolaid" 300 BLK SBR w/ suppressor and a second 16 inch upper. Two bolt .308 and a Wilson Tactical 7.62. A Henry 30-30 just because I traded a tile saw with a guy who had 800 +/- 30-30 cartridges and no 30-30. Assortment of glass to try to get my ancient eyes to see what to shoot at.

If anyone has any advice on a thermal rifle scope I'd appreciate all the info I can get. In scanning comments on different blogs that talk thermal there seems to be a lot of problems with some fairly expensive equipment.

I flew the first generation of night vision goggles in the Army that were actually tanker models. Why we didn't all die on the first take off can only be explained that God was watching and needed some continual humor.

Seriously considering a new LWRC SIX-8 A5 to fill the gap that the 300 BLK, in my mind and many attempts, cannot fill.

Also, you folks know the where/how/when to find the hogs and get the fun started. Not excited about humping much and muddy swamps filled with snakes. I can be anywhere within 900 miles of ATL in 2 days.

So, it's long but I might as well get it out in the yard all at one time. Thanks, MapMan

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome MapMan! You have come to the right place for any needed advice on thermal and LWRC I believe. Not from me though, I am here for entertainment purposes only!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mapman Welcome from another old VN Vet

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, good crew here.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome MapMan! You'll like the crew around here and I am sure you can get all the info you can handle on the thermals.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome MapMan! I'm also a crazy fling-winger from that era. (No in country service though). Glad to have another around. Bunch of good guys here that don't ridicule you for not knowing something.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
howdy

welcome aboard