Old 'Dog Learns a New Trick...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So... after owning "Office" for years now, I finally knuckled down and decided to learn how to use it better.

Up until now, I've been able to take an existing spread sheet and fill it in. Well... today, I built me a Firearms Log spreadsheet, with header and page count footer, auto-sum columns for "Cost" and "Value", category rows that auto transfer to the next page, and alternating shading for each row.

I've got it mostly filled out, now I need to gather all the children and ask them their serial numbers to finish in-putting the data.

Yes, I'm pleased to report, "more than one page" is needed too. I decided to do the two separate columns (Cost/Value) so that as needed, I can do a manual search for current value and update that, hide the "Cost" column for a report to the insurance company for replacement (should the unthinkable happen). For columns, I went with the following (Misc. is for any notations needed)

Make... Model... Serial Number...Type/Action... Caliber/Gauge... Date Acquired... Cost... Value... Misc.

I saved the bare template, and did a "save as" for my list. The template doesn't have the alternating rows shaded (not all versions of Excel may support that?). Anywho... my point is, if you've been meaning to create one of these... (one of these days), I've done the hard part and would be happy to share it via email.

After filling it out, I "double clicked" the right edge of each column's border to auto-justify the column's size to the largest entry.
And, prior to getting to the "Totals" row, just add rows as needed and the totals should continue to work fine as it drops.

Email me at DragonRiderATValhallaSixGunsDOTcom and put Firearms Log in the subject line.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, mine are in a word doc as I can type but not run a spreadsheet... Now all you need is to learn Firefox! LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, mine are in a word doc as I can type but not run a spreadsheet... Now all you need is to learn Firefox! LOL

I know how... I've used it... it's not what I prefer.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are the Man!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks RD I'll be glad to ask for a copy. I just did the same thing, but mine is very basic. I did add two columns to include pictures from both left and right sides. It works really good for handguns, but the long guns are pretty small after sizing to fit the space.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks RD I'll be glad to ask for a copy. I just did the same thing, but mine is very basic. I did add two columns to include pictures from both left and right sides. It works really good for handguns, but the long guns are pretty small after sizing to fit the space.
I'm kicking around the same thing to add in later... possibly in the "Misc" column I put in there.

After filling it out, I "double clicked" the right edge of each column's border to auto-justify the column's size to the largest entry.
And, prior to getting to the "Totals" row, just add rows as needed and the totals should continue to work fine as it drops.

Email me at DragonRiderATValhallaSixGunsDOTcom and put Firearms Log in the subject line.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One thing I would add is optics and accessory list (include serial number for the optic). Insurance will not cover them if you cant list exactly what was on there, trust me, I lost that fight.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One thing I would add is optics and accessory list (include serial number for the optic). Insurance will not cover them if you cant list exactly what was on there, trust me, I lost that fight.
I like that.