Ok to pinhole 3xmag lens cap on PVS14?

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I misplaced my PVS14's pinhole lens cap, and was wanting to do some daytime target shooting. Since I do most of my night hunting with the 3x on, I would like to practice with it on in the daytime anyways. Reckon it's ok to drill a small hole on my 3x magnifier lens cap? I'm assuming the 3x's larger objective lens lets in more light, and I sure don't want to damage the PVS. If it is ok, how small should the hole be? (I'm thinking start small as possible and work up...)

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I imagine you can, but never tried. Do you have an autogated unit? In case the lens cap pops off while shooting.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes it's autogated. Will that save the tube if momentarily subjected to such quantities of daylight?

The cap can't really come off b/c the 3x is situated on the rail just a fraction of an inch behind the Eotech. I think I will start with drilling a little pinhole and see what happens.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't turn mine on during the daylight period, since that is the one thing that can kill a tube. Figured why risk a 3K NV unit.

For target shooting I just use a 3x magnifier, there are alot of inexpensive options out there. The one from primary arms is OK the FOV sucks and the glass is pretty yellow. I went with a Burris tripler and their mount to go with it because the FOV was good and pretty clear glass, but Vortex VMX-3T looks solid too and it comes with the flip mount.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No way in hell would I do this. Use it in daylight.

as the pvs has no reticle, what is to be gained?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No way in hell would I do this. Use it in daylight.

as the pvs has no reticle, what is to be gained?

I think he is mounting it behind an eotech so it will "have" a reticle.

I highly encourage you to NOT do this. To much risk in burning the tube. Can you target shot at night or get a daytime magnifier as stated above? Those are much better and safer options. $3k is a lot of dough to burn up on accident.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman and BRD are spot on. Buy a cheap magnifier to run behind the EOTech for daylight. Shooting the 14 w/3x during the day has no benefit but you risk damaging the tube.

Auto gating does help protect your Tube but that would be like driving your car everywhere bang'n on the rev limiter. Not good!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are most current production PVS14's "autogated", or is that like an upgrade option?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman, I have a primary arms 3x magnifier behind my eotech for day use and the clarity is pretty good. I agree with u that the FOV isn't tho.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I don't turn mine on during the daylight period, since that is the one thing that can kill a tube. Figured why risk a 3K NV unit.

For target shooting I just use a 3x magnifier, there are alot of inexpensive options out there. The one from primary arms is OK the FOV sucks and the glass is pretty yellow. I went with a Burris tripler and their mount to go with it because the FOV was good and pretty clear glass, but Vortex VMX-3T looks solid too and it comes with the flip mount.

same here, i've got the Eotech 3x magnifier with the flip mount, good thing with that setup is you can have the same power to hunt day and swap out for the PVS with 3x when it gets dark

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, appreciate ya'll slappin' some sense back into me. It made me remember that I already had a cheap red dot magnifier laying around that came with a used Eotech 512 that I bought a while back. It is a GMG 5x with a fixed mount, which isn't tall enough for use with the EXPS-3 on my hog rig....

photo 1.JPG

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive 30mm qd mount (flip-to-side a bonus) that would put this 5x at the right height? I think the magnifier goes for around $80-$100 so I hate to spend a lot on a mount. One day maybe I'll get an Eotech G33 but its hard to justify no more than I would probably use it.

ETA: Almost forgot....the PVS/3x worked well earlier tonight. Found these two chompin' pecans at 95 yds & 140 yds away. In one ear and out the other on the little guy....
photo 2.JPG

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
can go with higher ring to mount, but I don't think there is a flip mount high enough....might be some QR type mounts that are high enough

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
An easy fix would be ro install a picatinny rail "riser" of the correct height

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the link Ncorry, I'll pick up a replacement cover.
Chopper, I like your thinking - a simple riser should do the trick and I may even have one of those layin' around...