NVS on 458 Socom

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So, is there a night vision system that will stand up to the recoil of a 458 Socom?
Only plan to shoot 300 to 325gr bullets with standard powder loads.
Thanks for your time!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes. Don't recall which units will except for the one I have, Pulsar N750, but it will beat the heck out of the batteries after a while because of how they are lined up parallel to the bore. Try going to Optics Planet and scanning their units for the ones that say that they will handle 50 caliber.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had an armasight nemesis gen 2 on my 458 socom for a while. I shot everything from 250gr to 525gr with it on there and never had a problem. Maybe 200 rounds with it on before I sold the rifle and scope.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Using 458 SOCOM with NV or any electro-optic is risky. Like Itsazonik did, you can use a Gen 2 device but it suffers in low light conditions compared to Gen 3 systems- The will typically hold up to higher recoil because of the tube design. The ITT tubes will not and are not rated for 458 or even close to the typical recoil produced. The L3 tubes are stronger but you are still risking a lot of money to shoot them on that caliber. We helped design a special tube just for these applications and it offers everything- the ICT Labs RC tube. Its best in class for low light Gen 3 performance, recoil rated for calibers like the 308, 458 and higher, and is warrantied for use on those calibers for 5 years. Its available in weapon sights (Luna Optics SPRS 4x) , PVS-14s and clip-ons like the CNVD (PVS-24)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Using 458 SOCOM with NV or any electro-optic is risky. Like Itsazonik did, you can use a Gen 2 device but it suffers in low light conditions compared to Gen 3 systems- The will typically hold up to higher recoil because of the tube design. The ITT tubes will not and are not rated for 458 or even close to the typical recoil produced. The L3 tubes are stronger but you are still risking a lot of money to shoot them on that caliber. We helped design a special tube just for these applications and it offers everything- the ICT Labs RC tube. Its best in class for low light Gen 3 performance, recoil rated for calibers like the 308, 458 and higher, and is warrantied for use on those calibers for 5 years. Its available in weapon sights (Luna Optics SPRS 4x) , PVS-14s and clip-ons like the CNVD (PVS-24)

Got a link to it???

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have an N750 on my *** 6.8 and like it.
Did not know it would take the recoil of a 458 Socom.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Search online. I think they are rated at 6000 joules. Your 458 is probably around 5000-5400. Like I said, it is hard on batteries. Surefire had the same problem in shotguns and put hard washers between the batteries to keep one from beating the hell out of the other.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My friend had an n750 on his 458 and it lasted about 40 rounds before it died

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes , he sent it in and got it replaced . Has it on his 6.8 now

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been using the N750 on my 6.8 with a 16" *** target crown barrel for a while now.
Even with no muzzle device, the kick is still pretty mild.

I've been researching muzzle brakes but according to Marty on 458forum, there is not enough flow to be effective.
I just ordered the barrel and bolt last week and haven't shot one yet so I don't know how much or little they kick.
Only plan to shoot 300 - 325gr bullets for now.

In my situation, night vision trumps a can.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's got the same kick as a good 12 gauge slug

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So it lets you know it's there and you need to hold it...nice, I like a gun that says "hold me"...LOL!

I'm working on a few other toys so I have things to do while I wait a few months on the BHW 458 barrel.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It let's you know alright. I love shooting my 458. One of these days I'll get all my other builds done and start another socom build

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never thought of my 458 S rifle kicking much, but my 12" AR pistol will bite you if you don't pay attention. lol

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shot my friends 12" pistol and it's definatly something to get used to

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
my friend has been shooting his Pulsar N750 on his 450 Bushmaster without any issues

I haven't tried my PVS-14 or N750 on my 458, won't dare try the PVS, think that would be suicide with a pinnacle tube