Nocturnal winter hogs

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I went down to Three Rivers (just south of Choke Canyon reservoir this past weekend for some deer hunting. We saw no hogs during the day over a 4 day hunting trip. These hogs are nocturnal, period. Here is how I know:I had 3 bags of deer corn in the back of my truck that had become wet and had soured over a period of a month. This is what I will use from now on. I put out 40 lbs of it at the ranch house Friday mid-day and the next morning we saw pics of a 20 pig sounder tearing it up. The camera showed that they came in around midnight. Saturday late afternoon, I put another 40 lbs of the bagged sour corn out around a feeder (no camera was operating there at the time) located in the Nueces river bottom which is also on this ranch. I added a 5 gal bucket of corn that was fermented with water, sugar, yeast and "green apple" kool-aid mix over a period of 4 weeks, just for good measure. The hogs came in that night and tore it up. Not a kernal left at the feeder. The hog sign in the area was incredible. My point is that I will now be "souring" corn by moistening it in heavy black contractors bags over a 4 week period and will also be making a few batches of the fermented "green apple" kool-aid corn. Next trip, we will be hunting all night over baited feeders.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ours are not as much nocturnal but are few and far between in winter and deer season, too many feeders and activity

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a good plan do not forget to take pictures!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have trapped a lot of hogs and everyone wants to know the secret bait I use. It always comes down to corn soaked in water. I use steamed crimped corn because it soaks it up better and faster (about $1 more)but if you start with that and then add whatever you want for extra treats you'll do alright. The first reason is that you can smell wet corn a long way off so you know the pigs can smell it much farther.