No luck on Hog roll barrel

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put out a hog roll barrel 3 weeks ago. Put about 1.5 bags of corn in it, and spilled another .5 bag around it to get the hogs hopefully rolling it around and moving it. I put 3 or maybe 4 5/8" holes in one end of it, and chained it to a cinder block. I went back Friday night to check it and the corn around the barrel was mostly gone but not all of it, so that tells me that the cows ate it and that hogs haven't found it yet. I tried rolling it, and it's not dropping much corn. I'm tempted to open it up, but then I know they'll empty it in no time. The last few times I've been able to get out the property owner next door has been running hogs with dogs, so I think he has put a lot of pressure on them and possibly ran them off for a short time. Any suggestions other than patience?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They stopped hitting mine when I put too much corn in em. Frank told me to Add kool aid powder and only put 25 lbs of corn in them to start. Worked for me. Smear peanut butter on the outside of the barrel to get em started.
Could also be the pressure from the dogs.

Rickster

They stopped hitting mine when I put too much corn in em. Frank told me to Add kool aid powder and only put 25 lbs of corn in them to start. Worked for me. Smear peanut butter on the outside of the barrel to get em started.
Could also be the pressure from the dogs.
It's probably the pressure. We have them on the family property, but if we go after them, or when deer season starts and there is too much activity in the woods, they'll disappear for about a month. Don't know where they go, but they always come back.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the hols should be random from top to bottom or in the middle. I started w 3 and now have only 1 in the middle of each barrel and less corn comes out better than more. They can empty it in 1 night thru 1 hole. Hogs come and go on a property, they learn the barrel as it is not a natural food source for them so peanut butter, sweet drink powder, karo syrup on and around the barrel helps. 1st thing you need are hogs in the area.