Night Vision Vs Thermal Showing the advantages and disadvantages of both.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Made this video showing same target "me" in different scenarios. Tried to show IR bloom, how cammo can defeat night vision, how glass can defeat thermal, and tried to defeat thermal with a ghillie suit.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice comparison between them. That's pretty cool how thermal picked up on your hoof prints, as well as where you had been holding the corner of the pane of glass. Both, great tools with their varied strengths.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
two thumbs up

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a Squatch. Walks like a Squatch. Smell like a Squatch?

JPK

LSB Active Member
Great illustration. Thanks.

"There's a Squatch in these woods!" probably the lamest thing I ever heard on YV, including Obummer, which is saying a lot.

JPK

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really good stuff. Makes me want thermal.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
why not a thermal monoc on the helmet instead of the PVS 14? cost I guess.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Frank,

Trying to set myself and my son up, I ended up with a Patrol. I will be trying it helmet mounted. I'll post on how it works when I've had a chance to give it a workout. Waiting on mounts now.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
why not a thermal monoc on the helmet instead of the PVS 14? cost I guess.

Cost, can't see through glass depth perception. I have used a thermal monocular and it will work but I prefer the pvs14 for walking because of the deth peception. A thermal monocular helmet mounted really comes in handy in thick cover under a tree canopy where there is little light, in this situation it's very dark for the pvs and the vegetation reflects the ir illuminator back severely limiting visual range. But for the most part I stay out of the thickets at night.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Pvs14 for driving and walking open areas, head mounted thermal for walking brush line looking for critters, or in vegetation/brush. Just cuz you can see critter with thermal does not mean you have a clear shot, weeds and dry branches don't show up in the thermal very well. Switch to night vision and critter might be hidden in branches that will deflect bullet. Both are needed in brush/vegetation. Open areas either will do the job.

I have noticed that critters that are hard to see during daytime are even harder to see at night with night vision due to lack of color. Dirt colored hogs disappear, but thermal makes sure they get the attention they deserve :) .

Last edited:

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another great video TLM. The longer you stood there in the ghillie, the more it heated up. Then when you started walking back, it cooled off in the thermal (not to you, I'm sure).