Night Vision on Crossbow?

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Any reason I couldn't use my Digisight, or any NV for that matter, on my crossbow as long as I stayed within the bows range? It has scope on it already.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what is the shock level of a crossbow, I have seen some I would not think would be good for a NV device?

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
what is the shock level of a crossbow, I have seen some I would not think would be good for a NV device?
Since there is no kick I would assume it would be less than the 6.8 I'm using the Digisight on now. But I'm planning on using it on a larger caliber, like a .308 semi, should I be concerned on that level?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Crossbows have a serious shock, but don't think to bad that you couldn't try. I have an Excalibur Matrix 380, maybe I'll have to give it a shot with the X-Sight, don't want to put my good stuff on there lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This from a Cabelas Expert: I am betting all Nightvision companies will void their warranties if used on a crossbow.

Will the ATN Aries MK 350 Guardian mount to a Horton crossbow as well as a Remington 270 ?

asked 3 years, 1 month ago
Louisiana
on ATN Aries MK-350 Guardian Nightvision RiflescopeAnswer this question
3 answers
The ATN Aries MK-350 Guardian Nightvision Riflescope can fit on any firearm/crossbow that has a standard Weaver-style rail.
  • Expert
answered 3 years, 1 month ago
Anonymous
The MK350 can be mounted on 1913 weaver/piccatinny rails.

If the Firearm you are using has a rail that is at least 6" long you can mount the MK350 to it.

Regarding Cross Bows. If it has a rail as mentioned previously technically you would be able to mount the MK350 to the cross bow.

Although, we do not recommend using a cross bow with our Night Vision scopes as the recoil is different from a traditional rifle. Some of our customers have done this with success.

FYI: Mounting the MK350 to a Cross Bow would not be covered by the warranty.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Thanks Frank, you talked me out of it. Have to save up for a can.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
On the recoil question Frank, my digi is mounted on AR6.8. Since I hunt in dense Fl underbrush I try for one shot quick kills cause it's just too hard to find game during the day much less at night. I'm thinking about putting it on my 7400 .308. any thoughts on high power recoil.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well on the crossbow it is not the recoil but the shock of the whole thing doing what it does I would be concerned with. Each NV unit is rated up to a caliber, I don't know what yours limit is...if not published I would email and ask. Like the new X-sight is rated up to a 308, most of the others I have looked at are too but you should check what the warranty covers if it is still covered.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same issue with some pellet rifles. The 'recoil' is different and can destroy a regular scope not rated for the air gun world.

No way I would put an expensive optic on one. Aiming would be problematic anyway.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
I'll send an email to Pulsar re warranty/caliber. Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
all I could find

The Digisight N750 is resistant to bright light exposure and features excellent operational characteristics. The riflescope can be mounted on a wide range of hunting weapons including those of large calibers (shock resistance is guaranteed if cartridges with muzzle velocity not exceeding 6000 Joules are used).

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
6000 Joules = 4,425 ft-lbs
338 Lapua 250 Gr InterLock® SP = 4,668
I don't think I'll have to worry :rolleyes:

Thanks for the look-up Frank

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I would think the Digitals are tougher than the gen 2-3 because of their tubes.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Same issue with some pellet rifles. The 'recoil' is different and can destroy a regular scope not rated for the air gun world.

No way I would put an expensive optic on one. Aiming would be problematic anyway.

yup, for sure, except my PCP guns, no recoil

large.jpg

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Rifle recoil pushes back. Crossbows, bows, and air rifles recoil forward. Because of the opposite direction of movement many optics made for a rifle will not hold up on an air gun or crossbow. I would contact the manufacturer and specifically ask about crossbows.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to use an ATN MK410 and MK390 on crossbows. I figured with the limited range of the xbow and the gen 1 scope, it would work, and I didn't have a problem with either one of them after literally 100s of shots. That being said, I was playing with $400 scopes and not $1,500. I don't think I would roll the dice with $1,500 on the pass line.