Nice cutters for a little guy.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went to my dads place last week hoping to take out a handful of pigs in two nights. Only saw 1 pig the whole time though, and I hunted hard. but i had a great time as usual, and also took out a coon at the end of the second night.
-The back-story: ive got about 100 acres that I can hunt at my dads place. his friend lives 20 minutes away and has 60 acres, a lot of water, an oat field, and he feeds/traps axis fairly regularly, which helps keep the hogs around his place (i didnt know it until last week, but he stopped feeding, plowed the oat field and one of his mud/water holes had dried up).
-The story: Got to my dad's friends house around 10 pm. After visiting with his family for a while about a possible job opportunity, he wanted me to show him my night hunting set up bc he wants to know what nv is capable of telling the difference between axis and white tail at night. so after trying to explain (talking quite audibly in his front yard, which is right between the best two spots for hogs on his property-- about 150 yards away) a lot of the basic differences between thermal, gen 1, 2, 3, digital night vision, ambient light, IR light etc we drove around on his place looking at different deer through the different optics (digisight n750, gen 3 pvs-14, x200 thermal eye). once he was satisfied he turned me loose, but i decided that Id be better off going to my dads place since we had made all that commotion at his place.
Got to my dads around 01:00. parked the truck and started towards the first feeder about 300 yards away. I was disappointed after not seeing anything under it, since this feeder has had 2 regular pigs on it the past few weeks (one of them is a pretty good size and smart-- more on that later). while i was walking back the way I came to go to another feeder on the opposite end of the property, you go up a dirt road and turn R at the clearing. As i approached the clearing i grabbed my thermal and scanned right and left. Sure enough this pig is about 40-50 yards to my left just on the other side of a gate that separates 2 pastures (not property line). i think he heard me walking up bc he was very still the first few seconds in the thermal.. I slowly switched from thermal monocular to the 6.8 spc/PVS-14/3x magnifier/eotech that was slung across my chest. I positioned myself a little closer (30-35 yds) and clear of the gate/fence post and about 15 seconds later he took a 120 grain Hornady SST to the neck since my new 6.8 upper seems to like that ammo and i tthhhhiiiinkkkkkk i recall someone here using it with a little success ;). The shot was a little low but it still dropped him and he kicked around for about 2 minutes while i slowly approached and kept my gun on him. the bullet didnt exit. big cutters for a smaller boar #108 on the scale and just over 34 inches of heart girth. took the backstraps and hindquarters only so i didnt get the full autopsy. after getting some meat i walked to a couple other feeders seeing only deer and coons. Called it a night around 5 am.
The next day I had some soured corn that i mixed with regular corn and then added a little (or a lot) of diesel and filled/moved a couple roll barrels (they are working out really well btw.. except i drilled the holes too big and need to replace them with barrels that have smaller and less holes. Ill prolly keep one of the barrels with bigger holes (bout four 1 inch holes), that way if i move a barrel to a new location, i can use the bigger holed barrel until it starts getting action). I also baited several areas, both at my dads place, and his friends. (man i stunk).
That night i went back out shortly after dark and walked from spot to spot until about 04:30 with the exception of driving back and forth from my dads to his friends place a couple times... btw i need some new hunting/hiking boots that i can walk longer distances in that wont create a painful devilish monster with each painful step deep in my sole (get it.. soul/sole). The only hogs I saw that night were on the little country road a couple miles from my dads friends place that I drove past around 03:00. I really wanted to stop and bust that group of 8-10 pigs, but i didnt.. prolly bc the devilish part of my conscience had his hands full causing pain in the bottom of my boots, so the good part of my conscience in white with a halo didnt have anything to stop him from making his point in telling me to do the right thing (sorry.. that joke was a stretch off of an already lame joke). anyways about 04:30 i arrived at the last feeder I was going to check and saw a coon trying to get up into the feeder from above the spinner plate where the corn cones out. i stalked up to about 35 yards waiting for him to notice me and climb down so i could get a shot. when he climbed down he stopped and was facing me. i aimed at his head but the bullet went a lttle high and hit his back around his shoulders and blew his guts out the back of his back.
-Preparing for next time: Before i left the next day I left my dad with 2 buckets of soured corn. He is going to mix some of it with regular corn and diesel and bait a couple specified areas for me about 7-10 days before i head back out there. then about 5 days before i get there he is going to do it again, and finally a day or 2 before i get out there he will spread the rest of it for me. I sour it for the smell to attract new pigs from farther away. I add diesel to keep other animals off of it so it lasts longer on the ground allowing pigs time to find it. Also, I specifically asked him to spread it around each area as much as possible to make the animals work harder for it so it will last longer.
-The big smart pig: I am going to make a separate post on this in the tips and tactics section..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh Man that thing looks like a wart hog, never seen that on a little boar. Good going! Great write up!!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
that swine's got some pearls now! Congrats :)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks like a vampire hog! Did you shoot it in the face ???

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cool deal

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna save the teeth for a nice back scratcher? Great story and nice hog

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL I just realized how long that story was. I work nights and any gf works days. She was asleep next to me and I was wide awake just typing away..

Thanks for the comments anyways though. I was wondering how uncommon it was for a pig that size to have cutters that big.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you happen to age him? that would tell you if he was a freak or a midget. I would have left him in the gene pool actually.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not awesome at aging pigs. I don't think he was old though. He did have some pretty big scars on his back legs

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks frank. Next time I'm out there, I'll go to where I left the remains and try to find out.. Assuming his head is still there, his teeth are still in place, and maggots aren't still eating his brain.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would have saved that head or cut out the teeth, I am a teeth saver when they are nice!