New Zeus Pro

Robert Anderson

LSB Member
I just received my new zeus pro and used it briefly last night. One skunk down.
I haven't been able to "learn the remote". Changed the battery today and will try it tomorrow. Does anyone know of any other reason this could be an issue? Do you find the remote to be useful?
Also not sure of when to NUC. How often, how do you know when this is needed?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also not sure of when to NUC. How often, how do you know when this is needed?

Thanks for any suggestions...

The unit will NUC automatically. You have the option to do it yourself if you feel the image is degrading. Sometimes during much less than ideal conditions, I find NUCing to be of some benefit. Most of the time, you won't need to do a thing.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the new Pro. I've only been out 3 times with my standard Zeus. Only time I noticed it needed a NUC was right after a shower temps were still in the upper 80's and humidity probably 80-90%. Still haven't thought to check the manual to see how to do a manual NUC. I don't use the remote either.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
Congrats on the new Pro. I've only been out 3 times with my standard Zeus. Only time I noticed it needed a NUC was right after a shower temps were still in the upper 80's and humidity probably 80-90%. Still haven't thought to check the manual to see how to do a manual NUC. I don't use the remote either.
Hold down the fore and aft buttons simultaneously for 2-3 seconds until you hear the shutter "click" and the image cleans up.

Robert Anderson

LSB Member
Actually, one other question. The manual tells you to remove the batteries after use. I was planning to leave them in and the scope mounted on my rifle.
Any thoughts?

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I don't use the remote either ... and I've done manual nuc probably 2 times in the past 15 monts ...

If I am not going to use the unit for a month I would take out the batteries ... you don't want a battery to explode and leak into the unit ... but then I've never gone a month without using the unit so I've never really "stored it". So it has batteries in it 99% of the time. Many manuals have "lawyer words" in them ... so I guess if you do leave the batteries in and they do leak ... then it is on you. But if you are changing the batteries weekly or nightly then I've never had an issue. I did have batteries leak in a flashlight in the past year. And the flashlight was done. But I probably hadn't used the flashlight in 6 months.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On the pros you have to have the included antenna in to use the remote. I never use it because it's easier for me to click on the scope buttons. And most of the time I have a recorder in it.
But if you have the app on your phone you can connect to it and use the remote feature on the phone without plugging in the antenna.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the non-pro Zeus 640 75mm. If the remote and standby feature worked better, I might use it. I think that if the standby mode left the sensor on but turned the screen off, I might use the remote. As it works now, the 5 second or so boot up from standby mode does nothing for me.

Robert Anderson

LSB Member
On the pros you have to have the included antenna in to use the remote. I never use it because it's easier for me to click on the scope buttons. And most of the time I have a recorder in it.
But if you have the app on your phone you can connect to it and use the remote feature on the phone without plugging in the antenna.
Thanks, Just learned about the antenna today after a call back from armasite. Really quick call back service. I may try it just to see if I like it.
Which app do you get for the phone that could be interesting? Go to app store?
I probably won't use it either getting more familiar with the buttons which seem pretty quick and easy.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, Just learned about the antenna today after a call back from armasite. Really quick call back service. I may try it just to see if I like it.
Which app do you get for the phone that could be interesting? Go to app store?
I probably won't use it either getting more familiar with the buttons which seem pretty quick and easy.
Yeah I think I just typed in Armasight on the App Store. I think it's called arm connect. Honestly it's just way easier to click the button on the scope itself since you can feel for the right button.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
On my non pro 640 I have to hit it 3 times to activate. Manual says once I'm pretty sure. I kinda like the feature.

Dusty

Hey, thats a fact jack
The unit will NUC automatically. You have the option to do it yourself if you feel the image is degrading. Sometimes during much less than ideal conditions, I find NUCing to be of some benefit. Most of the time, you won't need to do a thing.
Ok what does the NUC do

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cleans up the image

it is something all thermal unit need to do periodically

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cleans up the image

it is something all thermal unit need to do periodically
Yup, I NUC my Thor on startup and also when I go from one temp to another throughout the night. ATN tech support told me that performing the NUC does drain the batteries quicker though.

I do not store my thermal with the batteries in it mainly because when I stored the unit with the batteries in I experienced the unit shutting off with recoil. I suspect it was because of the compression of the springs in the battery compartment.
When I began storing the thermal without the batteries in the compartment I no longer had problems with the unit turning off with recoil.

Robert Anderson

LSB Member
Yup, I NUC my Thor on startup and also when I go from one temp to another throughout the night. ATN tech support told me that performing the NUC does drain the batteries quicker though.

I do not store my thermal with the batteries in it mainly because when I stored the unit with the batteries in I experienced the unit shutting off with recoil. I suspect it was because of the compression of the springs in the battery compartment.
When I began storing the thermal without the batteries in the compartment I no longer had problems with the unit turning off with recoil.

That's interesting. Thanks. My unit has shut off a couple of times as well after shooting. I'll try removing batteries. I appreciate your thoughts.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Non
Uniformity
Correction or calibration

Adjusts for tempature corrections in layman's terms. Over time the sight will develop thermal drift either thru the processor changing temps and or the operational environment. NUC will correct for the changes.

Last edited:

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've never even looked through a rifle mounted thermal unit such as ATNs Thor or Armasight Zeus series. All my thermal experience comes from working on the Apaches FLIR/thermal sights. We have two types of SANUC processes. A longer and a quick version. In the longer version the sight will scan up and down getting a good reference of the environment. The quick one just updates for thermal drift more or less. I'd be curious to see what happens if you NUC while point the scope at the ground. Then again while looking at something with big differences in tempatures. I'd thing there would be a noticeable quality difference in the picture.