New Toy

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The IR Hunter MII will be just fine on either SCAR
Pretty much all of todays thermal scopes from L3, Armasight, Flir, IR or ATN would be fine on either SCAR. We are talking about recoil with NV clip-ons, different animal

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
exactly

Mr. Jay

Hey guys, new here but been hunting with ATN thor since 2012. Ive had a scar 17 for a while. after about 500-600 round through it i went through a series of germanium lenses on my ATN thor 640. Turns out i went through a total of 3 lenses all covered under warranty through ATN. I contacted Cadex defenses and they hooked me up with a recoil rail. Ever since i installed the recoil rail i have no had any issues and my lense is fine. I have pictures to prove it but i cant figure out how this forums upload attachments works

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys, new here but been hunting with ATN thor since 2012. Ive had a scar 17 for a while. after about 500-600 round through it i went through a series of germanium lenses on my ATN thor 640. Turns out i went through a total of 3 lenses all covered under warranty through ATN. I contacted Cadex defenses and they hooked me up with a recoil rail. Ever since i installed the recoil rail i have no had any issues and my lense is fine. I have pictures to prove it but i cant figure out how this forums upload attachments works
Photobucket.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wait till you put one on an air gun, bet they go bad real quick

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So . . . I take it your saying that the recoil of a 308Win cracked the fwd lens like that ??
I have had,and been using ,a ATN ThOR since 2013. It is a 3X 640 50mm unit. It has sat on top of my 10.5" 6.8 pistol,a 300Blk,and now on a 18" 6.8 shooting some mighty stiff loads. I have had no problems with this sight so far but it has not been subjected to the recoil impulse of a 308Win. --- pruhdlr

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Timely thread for my interests. I am waiting on a SBR stamp for a light weight LR308 build. With suppressor, no optic and no mag, it should be just under 7lbs once I get the 12.5" KAK 308 barrel approved. Hadn't really thought about recoil, but the plan was to move my Armasight Zeus non-pro 3x 75mm 640-30 from my 12.5" 6.8 to the 308 SBR once I got the stamps in. Specs say it has a recoil resistance of 700 g.

What say the hive?

After some more googling, I found a data set on the other NV forum that translates free recoil energy into G forces, roughly. For a 4 Kg (8.8 pound) 308, it works out to 667 predicted Gs. My 7 pound LR308 with a 1.8 pound Zeus would be getting pretty close to the 700G recoil resistance advertised.
Anyone going to talk me out of this?

Last edited:

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Update to my question about 308 usage. Sent an e-mail to Armasight and got the following reply from Andrew Amongol:

Yes, the scope is capable of being run up to 300 win mag. 308 is fine all day long.
If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know.

Guess I'll give it a try and hope that I don't need the remaining two years of the factory warranty.