new to the 6.8 world

WyattC

so i decided to go away from buying another ar15 and decided to build my own. just finished my 6.8mm and i was planning on using it to shoot hogs and varmints. i cant decide what round to shoot through it so i was trying to get a general idea on what everyone else has been shooting and what theyve had good or bad luck with. any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 6.8.jpg
    6.8.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs... try the Hornady 120 SSTs, for varmints, just about anything from the muzzle will do. The VMax, the 90TNT, the ProHunters... all great for smaller critterage.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As RD said see if your gun likes 120 sst for pigs and as for yotes depends if your looking for pelts or not. If yes to pelts look to the vmax or some other frag bullet. If pelts are a no, just shoot them bastards with what you have.

WyattC

Hogs... try the Hornady 120 SSTs, for varmints, just about anything from the muzzle will do. The VMax, the 90TNT, the ProHunters... all great for smaller critterage.
got it. have you shot the american gunner any? or the federal xm68gd?

WyattC

As RD said see if your gun likes 120 sst for pigs and as for yotes depends if your looking for pelts or not. If yes to pelts look to the vmax or some other frag bullet. If pelts are a no, just shoot them bastards with what you have.
same question i just asked, have you shot the american gunner or federal xm68gd? and i wont start caring about their pelts until winter, aint worth anything right now.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
got it. have you shot the american gunner any? or the federal xm68gd?
No, I haven't used those two rounds, but I'm confident in their ability to work on varmints... like a yote.

WyattC

No, I haven't used those two rounds, but I'm confident in their ability to work on varmints... like a yote.
i figured they would, i just dont know how i feel about the 90 gr instead of a 110 or 120

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
same question i just asked, have you shot the american gunner or federal xm68gd? and i wont start caring about their pelts until winter, aint worth anything right now.
I have not shot anything with the 90 HD, however I would be convenient in putting one in a dog and expect it to go down. From my experience they don't take any center fire rifle bullet well.

I can tell you the 120 sst will tear pelt up, that bullet packs a good punch. I would think any of the heavier bullets will do the same. Think of it this way in a 5.56 many of the good varmint bullets are well below 90 grains and the 6.8 pushes a 90 way faster.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the 120SST but the Barnes 110TSX is my favorite