New member, but old hoghunter

Grizz

My name is Grizz and I hog hunt in Texas, south of Houston.

For those of you who like the 6.8, I am definitely in your camp. I also like Barnes Bullets, especially the 85 grain TSX and 95 grain TTSX. For 40 years I have been reloading my own ammo, and built my own 6.8 just for hog hunting.

I hope to learn a great deal more about hog hunting, reloading the 6.8, and night vision devices from those of you in this forum.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WELCOME. what optics are you using?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, this place is great. Information galore and good attitudes!! BANG BANG!!

And sometimes great videos and nice pictures of dead pork!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray !! Good group of hecklers... er, I mean members. Yeah, that's what I meant. :rolleyes:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the forum and maybe we can learn something from you too.

Grizz

Frank T, where you hunt is very interesting because I have a home in Bay County, Fl.

I do not have any night vision devices, only a powerful green weapon light and typical optical scope. I toyed with the idea of buying a night vision device but decided that since my hog hunting trips are only around 5-10 days about 3 times a year, the expenditure was too large.

Most of my kills are made in the late afternoon, during the hour before dark. A lot of times I use corn and strawberry jello powder to bait up areas that show activity, but I often just watch crossing areas on ranch roads and pipelines. Occasionally I see and shoot hogs when I am driving out of the hunting area at night, or once in a while we go spotlighting.

Besides the 6.8, I also use a 308 because they are almost always DRT when they get shot with it. The 308 is really nice when watching areas in the late afternoon where shots could be 300+ yards.

I was in Texas during the first part of October and shot 13 hogs. That's the most ever for me in a 9 day trip.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Grizz, my lease is up Hwy 79 between Panama City Beach and Ebro, very easy to get to. You do know on private land in FL you need NO license for hogs?

Grizz

I know that area pretty well, especially the area on the east side of 79 that used to be Moore's Pasture Wildlife Management area.

Hogs on private land in Florida are the property of the landowner and may be hunted any time the landowner says it's okay. That's the great thing about hunting in Texas too. Basically if the landowner says it's ok, hog season is on!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Grizz I am just west of that area on 2000 acres at Steelfield. Come hunt with me

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ, I thought everyone did pay pal, I do business at least 1-2 time a week on it and never a problem

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes I noticed we had to treat you "special" and TLM is getting you reservations on the LSB "short bus"

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the forum sir.
IMO the 6.8 and the Barnes 85gr TSX is a great combo. My gun is a 18" Bison and the bullet is loaded to 3100fps. The bullet shown was recovered from a 193lb boar. I have used this combo on hogs up to 277lbs and multiple animals between 225 and 277lbs.
I use thermal on my 6.8 but before I did I used a Laser Genetics ND-3 and the ND-3x50. These will give you much more distance than a regular green LED.
Good hunting. ---- pruhdlr 20150406_223459-1.jpg

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome from houston! Do you live around here or just hunt south of houston

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and we were lacking a good name like Grizz! Beware, these guys will have you buying a thermal scope before the end of the week. :D

Grizz

Pruhdlr, I have shot a lotta hogs with that same bullet. I have a 6.8 with an18" Wilson Combat stainless barrel. Velocity with 30 gr of R10X is about 2930 measured with my chronograph. Accuracy is good. I have successfully killed hogs up to about 300# with it. As with other cartridges, CNS shots are the only guarantee of a hog on the ground right there. I find the 6.8 does a much better job than the 223, though either is capable with correct shot placement and the proper bullet.

Last edited:

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the club.... Im looking forward to the expernce and info you can add.