New lesson learned...Rascally Raccoons!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I set 4 dog proof raccoon traps. I caught 3 out of 4. But, 2 of the 3 were gone! I thought a coyote ran off with the trapped raccoon but upon further digging found my stakes were there. I used 2' rebar bent over at the last 2 inches and pounded in. I need to weld a nut to the end because it appears they scoot around enough to work the chain off the stake. There goes over 30.00 the first night I used them. But they work so lesson learned.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
darn! you are right by the roadway! I bet you will find the traps sooner or later.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went looking, no luck. I spent the morning moving my stand about 100 yds further in. The place is tore up with hog sign, but they are further in from my stand. Now I am right off the fence line where they come through at night. I can sit later because it's much brighter out there than in the woods where I was.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
buzzards may find them for you. Brighter later is better, I have areas the same way

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is on the game camera!! That will tell you what happened. Curious????? We will be waiting??? Good goin on the trappin though. Need to get the anchors on a cable. They work also. BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The big messy area was just off to the right of the game camera, I did that on purpose so I wouldn't have 100 pictures of a raccoon. Would have been nice to see what happened now.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those dogs got to them, a coyote has to be pretty hungry to mess with those greasy arse coons!! They are the last thing they want to eat. BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate when that happens !! At least you didn't lose the dumb one of the three.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea, he had both hands in the cookie jar. lol He wasn't going anywhere.IMG_20150411_074430903.jpg

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna sound like the ghost of xmas past if you hear one dragging that chain in the dark

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kudos on keeping your language pg-rated, I would have had to heavily edit the audio!!! Sorry bout the traps...

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've caught more than one coon paw in those traps. Also re-caught one that previously left his paw.

image_zps1fcqe7fy.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Caught another last night. We got a wee bit of rain this morning, he was a muddy fella.
Second pic is what I use for bait, dry cat food and some catfish bait, just a squirt of "Rotten Shad" for scent to get their attention. They find it quite yummy apparently.
wet raccoon 001.JPG

Attachments

• wet raccoon 002.JPG
    wet raccoon 002.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 10

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good going, he looks pretty sad

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yer gonna need a yellow ribbon under yer avatar that says "Ricky Raccoon Venator".

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
El Mapache Venator.........I think I will wait for something more manly! lol