New - Hill Country night hunter

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the opportunity to be on the forum!

Born in Texas, raised in the Hill Country and baptized in the Guadalupe, I've lived in Austin since 82' and perform sweat equity at a couple of properties around the Hill Country in exchange for hog and coyote hunting privileges.

I have been in the medical field since 1993, and specialize in wound closure (sutures / staples / skin glue), and sometimes offer field medic kits as gifts when hunting as a guest.

In the mid-80s, I "hunted" at my girlfriend's family ranch in the Rio Grande Valley with a .22 mag, white spotlight strung out from the cigarette lighter, and a Johnny Stewart yellow woodpecker cassette blasting from a ten D cell battery boombox. Actually managed to get a few coyotes, who apparently were just slightly dumber than I was. Hardly ever saw a hog back then...now we can't shoot enough of them from helicopters.

The years went by, and I spent most of my outdoor time fishing. Then, about seven years ago, I inherited a Springfield 30.06 and decided to get into hog and coyote hunting. I had no other equipment, friends or relatives who hunted, access to property, nor clue as to what the hell I was doing.

After a helluva lot of mistakes I am now fairly successful with my hog hunting. And even when I don't put some hooves up, I learn something - lately it's been that advanced technology cannot compensate for poor technique.

Now that I have finally acquired thermal imaging and night vision capabilities, I much prefer to spot and stalk in complete darkness. It is absolutely amazing how much wildlife can be seen in this manner, and how much about their behavior can be learned. And how many cactus spines an
d twisted ankles can be acquired by walking around like an fool in the dark...Profile pic.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great intro and write up..Welcome, glad you made it, how did you hear about us?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing your hunting stories!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome... yer gonna fit right in 'round here.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing your hunting stories!

Just posted one...
I'm up in Idaho right now. Good people, but they don't allow night hunting without a permit and a game warden sitting in your lap.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Thanks...found you with a web search (I use start page.com; they

Thanks...web search on startpage.com; they are strong privacy advocates and don't collect and track users data like Google does.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is good to know!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you in the weird part of Austin?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the show. This place is full of characters and more are always welcome.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter