New Guy From North East Texas

dan11589

Hey all, I'm fairly new to hog hunting. I've spent most of my time going after ducks, but I'm starting to branch out. I found the forum through the youtube channel. I went hog hunting for the first time about a month ago and I'm hooked.

IMG_2013.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, a duck hunter and you show up with a 250lb hog! lol...Good job!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the site. A lot more meat for the number of shots than ducks. I like your skinning shed, but how do you keep it empty?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talk about an ugly duckling !!! (The pig guys... not gonna insult a feller on his first day) Congrats on a fine one there, and welcome.

dan11589

Thanks, I don't know if he was 250 pounds. I could hear my brother getting excited when we flipped on the hunting light so I figured he was a little bigger than what my brother normally sees. My brother is the hog hunter and thats his shed. Wish mine was empty. I realized pretty quickly that hog hunting gave me access to a lot of meat much quicker than duck hunting. I went out and bought a rifled barrel for my shotgun later that week. I'm glad to be here.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog and no getting up at 3 am to set out decoys!!! Double fun!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great setup!

hard to beat a 365 day season.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, your brother has a great setup!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the site - great place and friendly folks here. That's a nice hog too. I still duck hunt too, but not as much now since I started hog hunting.
Did you take him with your shotgun? Be careful - we are a bunch of enablers here and you could soon be building AR's and taking out a second mortgage for night vision/thermal toys, lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the AR's are pretty affordable now and the 6.8 is the easiest to find ammo for and is a great caliber for Varmints, deer and hogs, good luck!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the site - great place and friendly folks here. That's a nice hog too. I still duck hunt too, but not as much now since I started hog hunting.
Did you take him with your shotgun? Be careful - we are a bunch of enablers here and you could soon be building AR's and taking out a second mortgage for night vision/thermal toys, lol.
We frown on second mortgages, but the sale of an occasional body part is totally fine.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sell children and make more. LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Dan! I have already checked. If you don't sell them before they are two years of age, there is virtually no market - best to just keep them around for a while.

I think you will find hunting hogs is just like hunting giant, ground dwelling, mutant, hairy ducks. Really, there isn't much difference between the two.