New black talons?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inktristink concept. Lighter calibers, like the 9mm and .380ACP need very efficient bullets. Nice way to induce a big wound channel with a light bullet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I saw that frank.
I knew it was going to be costly.
But $2.20 a round?
Hell no I'm not pig hunting with these.
And if I have a break in I will politely ask the guy to stand still so I don't waste that!!!
Wonder if they have problems going down a silencer.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would get a box as I use my Glock 19 9mm as my backup at the lease, but I do have some deadly stuff already.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I will stick with my gold dots. Been working just fine for years.

I don't like having super expensive self defense rounds, because I replace it every year with fresh ammo. I also never rechamber a SD round and it gets thrown in with the plinking ammo. On the other hand all my SD ammo is handloaded and I can still get GD's as components. I get a bit OCD when it comes to SD rounds and it i probably a bit on the overkill side on how much of it I run through.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In a 45 acp it would make one heck of a would channel. Might just buy a couple just to,have for hone defense or hog hunting

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the Ranger 147gr bonded JHP or the Hornady 147 XTP, I can't believe this is that much better

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They need to be focusing on a good round that will open up subsonic with the 300wtf.

Is that like casting your pearls before swine? (Pun intended)

I use the Ranger 147gr bonded JHP or the Hornady 147 XTP, I can't believe this is that much better

You know? The "Ranger" IS the Black Talon (without the evil "black" coloring)? The 9mm needs all the help it can get, as does my .380 ACP pocket-rocket.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really? did not know that. I have never had anything or one say after I shot them, Gee I am glad you did not shoot me w a 45...LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really? did not know that. I have never had anything or one say after I shot them, Gee I am glad you did not shoot me w a 45...LOL
Back from my LEO days... too many tales of drug filled bad guys still coming after multiple ventilations with the 9mm. Bullet technology is vastly improved over what was available in the mid-80s.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think so too and the hogs hate it, 17-33 rds LOL

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do not believe that the Rangers are like the original Black Talons in that they do not have the reverse tapered jacket.(jacket that was actually thicker in front than at the rear) That was a big part of what made the originals a great bullet.

I killed hogs with the 200gr version in my 10mm and the 250gr version in my 44Rem Mag. They worked great. A combo of penetration and wound channel was great.

My last "stash" of this ammo went for $40 and $45 per box of 20rds some 3 years ago. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not believe that the Rangers are like the original Black Talons in that they do not have the reverse tapered jacket.(jacket that was actually thicker in front than at the rear) That was a big part of what the made the originals a great bullet.

I killed hogs with the 200gr version in my 10mm and the 250gr version in my 44Rem Mag. They worked great. A combo of penetration and wound channel was great.

My last "stash" of this ammo went for $40 and $45 per box of 20rds some 3 years ago. --- pruhdlr
Well? Read the "Current Status" paragraph and see whether the Ranger SXT puts a grin on your mug. It does mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I only compared them to black talons cause they QUICKLY got labled as cop killers.
Once these get tested by some sort of law agency and it gets proven that "shooting these at a person may cause the person to die", duh, and the media applies the term to "baby seal clubber" to the round, it will quickly gain haterid from the left and antis everywhere.
Personally the term _______ killer, fill in the blank, could apply to any bullet made.
It's kind of like what Homer Simpson said about crab grass.
"If it was called elf grass or fairy grass everyone would love it!"
Names mean everything.
I wish they would have named it the "tinker bell" round or "we love baby seal" round.
Really throw people for a loop.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tried to buy can't find

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On a conceptual level, the ammo looks pretty neat. However, the claims make it sound much like the Extreme Shock brand nonsense. I have a feeling that the petals will fail significantly in penetration when hitting bone and that the core will produce a minimal wound channel and also be a poor performer after losing its petals and their additional mass that would help with better penetration.

Aguila IQ had their high velocity .45 acp ammo that was all of 110 grains and broke into multiple petals that each had separate wound tracks. Again, neat idea, but it failed to perform well overall. That stuff did have the biggest fireball I had ever seen come out of a .45, however!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My friend said he's going to get multiple things to shoot at and test it. He's going to try plywood, sheet metal, ballistic gel and if he can get on a hog he said he would drop one and do a controlled test. Hang it and shoot at it then recover bullets and see what it does on each