New Bear Barrels

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg I got my new 358 mgp barrels yesterday. They came out amazing. Can't want to get bolts to start building

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Zestay !!! New tubes is always kewl !! Got a pair of ARPs I'm slowing acquiring bits and bobbles for.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just ordered the last of my parts for my 458 socom build. Should have everything in a few weeks. I have lowers, I need some uppers and I need bolt carriers. I just order a few parts any time I have a little extra cash. The guy that made me these barrels is now looking into a 358 Winchester barrel for an ar-10 build

coondog

LSB Member
When I first say the pic of the barrel I said, that looks like my barrel. Then I scrolled down and see that it is. lol. I got my barrel from Mike last week but he has no idea when the dies will show up from Hornady. I have a set of 357 Herrett dies I could cut down but I'm not sure they will work

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I'm waiting on dies too. I don't have all my parts to finish the two just yet so I'm not worried about the dies. I have him started on a new secret project for me. Once I get that finished and find that it works ill be putting up some details

coondog

LSB Member
I only need a few parts and I could have a complete gun. I have a Bushmaster V-match that I never use. For a V-match it don't shoot as good as I think it should. I'll pull the barrel and install the 358. I think all I need is a gas block.

A wildcat you say? I would like to know what it is when your finished.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lets just say its right up mikes alley. its another 358

coondog

LSB Member
I have a 358 barrel blank that I was going to try to make something like a 357 max using 556 brass. It was close but not close enough. The base of the max ream is about .008 larger than 556. I was thinking about cutting max cases to fit a 556 bolt but just kinda gave up on the idea, on top of that after stretching a 556 neck to fit a 357 bullet the neck still needed to be turned. I might give it a try again with the 357 max idea using max brass. I cut the ribs out of a pmag and the mock up ammo I made using 556 brass fit the mag fine. I used a leverlution 140gr bullet.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is based on a larger cartridge

coondog

LSB Member
Hay did you ever get your 358 put together? Mike sent me dies about a month ago. I have my gun put together. It's a little different but I like what I did with it. Made some brass all I need to do is fire form brass.

For a mag I used a end mill and cut out the ribs of a Pmag. Then I had to cut a anti tilt follower to fit the Pmag. The ribs in a Pmag keep the follower from tilting. I don't know long the mag will last but it cycles good so far.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i bought 4 mags off of him. i just finished mine not too long ago. matched it to my 6.8. just has a different dust cover. and now my 6.8 has a different scope mount. i still need a scope for this one but im not sure which one i want

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
now whenever he gets me my other 358 barrel ill be set

coondog

LSB Member
Looking good. I'll get a pic of what I did with my gun tommorow. It's different lol but I kinda like it

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
as long as you like it and it goes bang on target thats all that matters. i showed some people my 6.8 and got interesting results as to why i would want to go into the woods with a silver rifle that everyone could spot from a mile away. well i like it and i plan to build 2 more like it

coondog

LSB Member
358 MGP 001.JPG 358 MGP 006.JPG 358 MGP 005.JPG
This what I did with my barrel. I had most of the parts and just wanted to use them. I like the classic look with the front hand guard. I used a DPMS free float tube. I cut it for a mid gas gun on a different build and had to recut it for the carbine gas on this barrel.

coondog

LSB Member
The Pmag was just cut on the inside. I used a vertical mill with a long shank cutter to cut the ribs out. Had to reshape a non tilt Pmag follower. But for now it works better than I thought it would.358 MGP 007.JPG 358 MGP 008.JPG

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
thats a beautiful rifle

coondog

LSB Member
Thanks. You know I use a golf cart to get around. The cart is black but the seat and top. The seat and top is white. Never had a pig or deer run away from my cart while just sitting there. Plus the black shines. lol. Like you said, as long as you like it.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
thats all that matters, but i really like that rifle. where did the stock come from?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
also, i have the same upper, i had to mill it out to to fit my 458 socom brass. i need to get it cerakoted