NESTED Sow and Piglets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This turned out to be a much more challenging hunt than anticipated. I was using an IR Hunter MKIII 60mm 4.5x scope and expecting to see hogs at one of two feeders that were more than 100 yards distant, which is great for the extra magnification of the MKIII 60. Instead, I ended up shooting a sow at 25 yards that had nested just 35 yards from the stand that I was in all night.

The sow had an actual nest where she had brought in and stacked up grass under a small stand of 6 or 8 cedar trees and a couple of oak trees. She had a pretty nifty little shelter and it made it very difficult to identify what was inside of it...

I tried to catch the piglets, but had no luck. I never found the piglet that I wounded.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun times!!! Piggy pictures?? That would have been a hoot watching that one!!! BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely you could sacrifice your body and jump in there and catch some squeelers!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool stuff! Nice job!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely you could sacrifice your body and jump in there and catch some squeelers!

LOL, I went digging through that stuff with my hands because I could hear the snuffles of the piglets inside. They can be quick! Maybe with a little more open ground, I might have gotten one or two. You know I was going to drive them down to your place if I caught them!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wazzat some arterial spurting that almost looked like dirt being kicked up? She wasn't goin' no-where ! Too bad, no happy meals !!! I'll bet that was a hoot to behold. Should've had the Hessian with yaz. LOL

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Speaking of the Hessian, what happened to him? I miss seeing him!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Hessian is my neighbor in Forestburg. We still get together once in a while when one of us needs help. He was off hunting another property in east Texas this week. He stays pretty busy.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video! I've never seen them build a bed like that before.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video!! Good to wait it out and make sure it was a hog!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm. I'm thinking 3 more shots... Awesome experience there. Do you aim hi or low when that close hahahahah...

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job lining up to ID and shoot the sow. I would believe you whacked several football piggies as well!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I shot the hell out of the sow's hind leg, :eek: thinking it was one of the footballs, but that doesn't count.
At least it wasn't a dirt clod.

D

djones

Speaking of the Hessian, what happened to him? I miss seeing him!
i miss him too. i think he does pole dancing gigs at midget strip clubs

pretty sure i would have shot in the middle and just kept the trigger going.