Need some opinions about my plans for NV instead of Thermal gear

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Hey fellas... So while I have loved hunting boar with thermal scopes I have generally borrowed a scope from a friend or was provided with one from my hunting guides. I'd love to own one but have a hard time trying to justify laying out at least $4,500 for the thermal I want. I recently started wondering if I can make due with a good night vision scope, kill lights and a thermal monocular. Does sound like a good plan that would save me from spending $4,500 and risking my marriage? lol... I figured the thermal monocular (looking at a Leupold one for $700) would help me scan areas for boars/coyote. When found I can stalk closer utilizing the night vision rifle scope in conjunction with the kill lights (red or green) mounted on my hand rails. Your opinions and experiences are welcome... thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Before Thermal...night vision was the bomb! Before night vision...green lights were the bomb! Before that 50mm light gathering scopes to shoot close to dark was the bomb! Before that hunting was the Bomb! Just bought a new suv with 42 cupholders, I was satisfied with the little plastic one you clipped on your door by the window.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Before Thermal...night vision was the bomb! Before night vision...green lights were the bomb! Before that 50mm light gathering scopes to shoot close to dark was the bomb! Before that hunting was the Bomb! Just bought a new suv with 42 cupholders, I was satisfied with the little plastic one you clipped on your door by the window.
booooooooooooooooo.........im fully aware of how good thermal scopes are..... but Night Vision has gotten much better since thermal entered the arena..... so my question remains.... is a good night vision scope used in conjunction with a thermal monocular a good coupling when not able to own a thermal?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just sayin'....wherever your priorities are is what you should do. I have a $200 NV Bushnell Equinox to spot game after dark. It is fine for me, I don't night hunt much. The thermal guys are not going back to n.v. anytime soon I can assure you that. Choose what you want and can afford and you can move on from there as you see a need or income increases.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Just sayin'....wherever your priorities are is what you should do. I have a $200 NV Bushnell Equinox to spot game after dark. It is fine for me, I don't night hunt much. The thermal guys are not going back to n.v. anytime soon I can assure you that. Choose what you want and can afford and you can move on from there as you see a need or income increases.
Yup.... believe me...lol.. I'd prefer a nice Trijicon thermal or an Armasight but ol' wifey would lose her mind.... I'm hoping for the lottery or something... then its thermal time....lol Thanks for your input....

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
by the way,.... so where you're at the hogs provide plenty of daytime opportunities for hunting?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not plenty enough but if I'm allowed on a property, I don't care what time it is I go after them. If they are up and moving, great, if they are bedded I try to jump them. Either way it is fun and if there are hogs in the area usually able to find them.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you take your time and do a lot of research you can find a really nice used thermal for a bargain. Some people like to have the latest and greatest in everything. Lots of good stuff coming this summer and fall.

Last edited:

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Not plenty enough but if I'm allowed on a property, I don't care what time it is I go after them. If they are up and moving, great, if they are bedded I try to jump them. Either way it is fun and if there are hogs in the area usually able to find them.
Sounds great...I plan on coming back to Texas at least once or twice a year to conduct hog eradication tours....lol well be safe and have a good night...

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
If you take your time and do a lot of research you can find a really nice used thermal for a bargain. Some people like to have to have the latest and greatest in everything. Lots of good stuff coming this summer and fall.
Yes I heard good things about that new Pulsar Trail..... being that I only get to Texas once or twice a year Im debating the Armasight Predator...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you take your time and do a lot of research you can find a really nice used thermal for a bargain. Some people like to have to have the latest and greatest in everything. Lots of good stuff coming this summer and fall.
My first Magellan gps cost me $1400, my second one cost $600 , my last one cost $125 and it's better than those were.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holler at me if I can help. If you're considering the predator, there are likely some better options in that same price range. The base model pulsar trail for example or one of the new pulsar apex units. The predator isn't bad but there are others worth looking at.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you sit in a box blind, or do you roam hundreds of acres when you go hunting? I have both an Armasight 42 mm thermal, and a photon digital nv scope I got for around $700. IMO, If you sit in a box blind, a digital NV scope will serve you well, however you've tasted thermal, NV just isn't even close to the same. Do a search for videos showing NV vrs Thermal & beg your wife for the thermal.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Holler at me if I can help. If you're considering the predator, there are likely some better options in that same price range. The base model pulsar trail for example or one of the new pulsar apex units. The predator isn't bad but there are others worth looking at.
THanks! Since I'm in NY and probably only hunt boars 2 times a year in trying to not go crazy on a thermal... what's the best one for under $3000?

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Do you sit in a box blind, or do you roam hundreds of acres when you go hunting? I have both an Armasight 42 mm thermal, and a photon digital nv scope I got for around $700. IMO, If you sit in a box blind, a digital NV scope will serve you well, however you've tasted thermal, NV just isn't even close to the same. Do a search for videos showing NV vrs Thermal & beg your wife for the thermal.
I'll be roaming farmland and fields... I wondered if using a Leupold thermal monocular ($700) would help with that... then use NV to get up close

D

djones

the selection of thermal scopes is catching up, but the selection of women still far outweighs them. go for the scope.

snake doesn't night hunt cause he goes to bed at 9:00 and gets up before 5:00 every morning.

Steve

LSB Member
I'll be roaming farmland and fields... I wondered if using a Leupold thermal monocular ($700) would help with that... then use NV to get up close
Sir,
The money that you spend on your NV setup in conjunction with a thermal monocular is not worth staying in a NV set up when you can pretty much be in a thermal set up. With Pulsar's new line of thermals, your best bet is to get into the RXQ30V for around $1800 (depending if you have to pay sales tax). For the price there is nothing better. If you got more to spend for around the $2500 (depending if you have to pay sales tax) mark you can get into a Pulsar Apex XQ38. The very basic model in the trail line of Pulsar's is the Trail XQ30 around $2800 (depending if you have to pay sales tax). For the price there is nothing better on the market currently.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
Sir,
The money that you spend on your NV setup in conjunction with a thermal monocular is not worth staying in a NV set up when you can pretty much be in a thermal set up. With Pulsar's new line of thermals, your best bet is to get into the RXQ30V for around $1800 (depending if you have to pay sales tax). For the price there is nothing better. If you got more to spend for around the $2500 (depending if you have to pay sales tax) mark you can get into a Pulsar Apex XQ38. The very basic model in the trail line of Pulsar's is the Trail XQ30 around $2800 (depending if you have to pay sales tax). For the price there is nothing better on the market currently.
Thank you! That is what I wanted to hear and it makes sense.... is that RXQ any good?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe that helmet mounted NV is a must if you are doing a lot of navigating with thermal being the choice for shooting. A thermal spotter is a good tool as well. Base you purchase on your need, not other people's needs or style. Give me a shout anytime you want and I can help you figure out what your options are.